on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Ketcham family come from? What is the English Ketcham family crest and coat of arms? When did the Ketcham family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Ketcham family history?Not surprisingly, the Ketcham surname is thought to have originally been an occupational name for a cook, deriving from the Old English word "cycen."
During the era when a person's name, tribe and posterity was one of his most important possessions, many different spellings were found in the archives examined. Ketcham occurred in many references, and spelling variations of the name found included Kitchen, Ketchin, Kitching, Kitchiner, Kitchener and others.
First found in Lancashire where they held a family seat from very ancient times. Early rolls revealed Henry atte Kychene c. 1300 and Richard del Kechin. The Yorkshire Poll Tax Rolls of 1379 lists Johannes del Kechyn; Johannes del Kuchyn; and Thomas del Kichyn. 
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Ketcham research. Another 141 words(10 lines of text) covering the years 1350 and 1566 are included under the topic Early Ketcham History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 51 words(4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Ketcham Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Ketcham family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. More information about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Gradually becoming disenchanted with life in Ireland many of these uprooted families sailed aboard the armada of sailing ships known as the "White Sails" which plied the stormy Atlantic. These overcrowded ships often arrived with only 60 to 70% of their original passenger list, many dying of illness and the elements, were buried at sea. In North America, early immigrants bearing the family name Ketcham, or a spelling variation of the surname include:
Ketcham Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Edward Ketcham, who landed in Ipswich, Massachusetts in 1635
- John Ketcham, who arrived in Ipswich, Massachusetts in 1648
Ketcham Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- William Ketcham, aged 43, landed in Tennessee in 1812
- Geo H. Ketcham, aged 37, who settled in America, in 1897
Ketcham Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Archie Ketcham, aged 35, who settled in America from England, in 1902
- E.M. Ketcham, who landed in America, in 1905
- Adele Ketcham, who settled in America, in 1907
- Chas B. Ketcham, who emigrated to America, in 1908
- Frank D. Ketcham, who emigrated to the United States, in 1909
- Henry King "Hank" Ketcham (1920-2001), American cartoonist who created the Dennis the Menace comic strip, recipient of the Reuben Award (1953)
- Dennis Lloyd Ketcham (b. 1946), American son to the cartoonist Hank Ketcham, inspiration for the comic strip
- Henry Holman "Hank" Ketcham (1891-1986), American first-team All-American football player for 1911, 1912 and 1913, inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1968
- Jennifer "Jennie" Ketcham (b. 1983), American writer, reality television personality
- John Clark Ketcham (1873-1941), American politician from Michigan
- John Ketcham (1782-1865), American self-taught surveyor, building contractor, and judge
- Robert T. Ketcham (1889-1978), American Baptist pastor, founder of the General Association of Regular Baptist Churches
- ^ Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Elster, Robert J. International Who's Who. London: Europa/Routledge. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Ingram, Rev. James. Translator Anglo-Saxon Chronicle 1823. Print.
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin . Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
The Ketcham Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Ketcham Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 9 November 2012 at 14:39.
on orders of $85 or more