on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Ketcham family come from? What is the English Ketcham family crest and coat of arms? When did the Ketcham family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Ketcham family history?Not surprisingly, the Ketcham surname is thought to have originally been an occupational name for a cook, deriving from the Old English word "cycen."
During the era when a person's name, tribe and posterity was one of his most important possessions, many different spellings were found in the archives examined. Ketcham occurred in many references, and spelling variations of the name found included Kitchen, Ketchin, Kitching, Kitchiner, Kitchener and others.
First found in Lancashire where they held a family seat from very ancient times. Early rolls revealed Henry atte Kychene c. 1300 and Richard del Kechin. The Yorkshire Poll Tax Rolls of 1379 lists Johannes del Kechyn; Johannes del Kuchyn; and Thomas del Kichyn. 
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Ketcham research. Another 141 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1350 and 1566 are included under the topic Early Ketcham History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 51 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Ketcham Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Ketcham family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. More information about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Gradually becoming disenchanted with life in Ireland many of these uprooted families sailed aboard the armada of sailing ships known as the "White Sails" which plied the stormy Atlantic. These overcrowded ships often arrived with only 60 to 70% of their original passenger list, many dying of illness and the elements, were buried at sea. In North America, early immigrants bearing the family name Ketcham, or a spelling variation of the surname include:
Ketcham Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Edward Ketcham, who landed in Ipswich, Massachusetts in 1635
- John Ketcham, who arrived in Ipswich, Massachusetts in 1648
Ketcham Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- William Ketcham, aged 43, landed in Tennessee in 1812
- Geo H. Ketcham, aged 37, who settled in America, in 1897
Ketcham Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Archie Ketcham, aged 35, who settled in America from England, in 1902
- E.M. Ketcham, who landed in America, in 1905
- Adele Ketcham, who settled in America, in 1907
- Chas B. Ketcham, who emigrated to America, in 1908
- Frank D. Ketcham, who emigrated to the United States, in 1909
- William M. Ketcham, American Democrat politician, postmaster at Poughkeepsie, New York, 1887-91; Candidate for U.S. Representative from New York 18th District, 1894
- William Ketcham, American politician, Member of Wisconsin State Senate, 1864-65, 1868-69
- William Ketcham, American Republican politician, Postmaster at Birmingham, Alabama, 1871-72
- Roy C. Ketcham, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from New York, 1964
- Natalie Ketcham, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Connecticut, 2008
- John Henry Ketcham (1832-1906), American Republican politician, Member of New York State Assembly from Dutchess County 1st District, 1856-57; Member of New York State Senate 11th District, 1860-61
- John Clark Ketcham (1873-1941), American Republican politician, postmaster; U.S. Representative from Michigan 4th District, 1921-33; defeated, 1932
- John B. Ketcham, American politician, U.S. Vice Consul in Singapore, 1927-29; U.S. Consul in Taihoku, 1932; Swatow, 1938
- John Ketcham (1782-1865), American politician, Candidate for Indiana State Senate, 1830, 1839
- Jim Ketcham, American Republican politician, Candidate for Pennsylvania State Senate 49th District, 1980
- ^ Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
The Ketcham Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Ketcham Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 7 October 2015 at 10:17.
on orders of $85 or more