on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Irish Kernaghan family come from? What is the Irish Kernaghan family crest and coat of arms? When did the Kernaghan family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Kernaghan family history?The original Gaelic form of the name Kernaghan is O Cearnachain, which is derived from the word "cearnach," which means "victorious."
Because early scribes and church officials often spelled names as they sounded, a person could have many various spellings of his name.Many different spelling variations of the surname Kernaghan were found in the archives researched. These included Kernahan, Kernaghan, Carnahan, Carnaghan and others.
First found in County Donegal (Irish: Dún na nGall), northwest Ireland in the province of Ulster, sometimes referred to as County Tyrconnel, where they held a family seat from ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Kernaghan research. Another 179 words(13 lines of text) covering the years 117 and 1172 are included under the topic Early Kernaghan History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Kernaghan Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
A massive wave of Irish immigrants hit North America during the 19th century. Although many early Irish immigrants made a carefully planned decision to leave left Ireland for the promise of free land, by the 1840s immigrants were fleeing a famine stricken land in desperation. The condition of Ireland during the Great Potato Famine of the late 1840s can be attributed to a rapidly expanding population and English imperial policies. Those Irish families that arrived in North America were essential to its rapid social, industrial, and economic development. Passenger and immigration lists have revealed a number of early Irish immigrants bearing the name Kernaghan:
Kernaghan Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Robert Kernaghan, who arrived in New York, NY in 1815
- Alexander Kernaghan who settled in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1830
- John Kernaghan (1840) and William Kernaghan (1856) settled in Philadelphia, PA
Kernaghan Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- James Kernaghan arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Andrew Jackson" in 1865
- Charles Kernaghan (b. 1948), American executive director of the Institute for Global Labour and Human Rights
- Mae W. Kernaghan, American politician, former Republican member of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives
- Alan Kernaghan (b. 1967), Irish former footballer
- Lee Kernaghan OAM (b. 1964), Australian country music singer and songwriter
- Tania Maree Kernaghan (b. 1968), Australian country music singer
- Eileen Kernaghan (b. 1939), Canadian three-time Aurora Award winning novelist
- Ray Kernaghan, Australian country music artist, is the father of country music artists Lee Kernaghan and Tania Kernaghan and has twelve gold and two platinum records
- Mike Kernaghan (b. 1955), New Zealand bronze medalist lawn bowler at the 2002 Commonwealth Games
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1978. Print.
- Kennedy, Patrick. Kennedy's Book of Arms. Canterbury: Achievements, 1967. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1992. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Bell, Robert. The Book of Ulster Surnames. Belfast: Blackstaff, 1988. Print. (ISBN 10-0856404160).
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
The Kernaghan Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Kernaghan Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 21 August 2013 at 07:11.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
on orders of $85 or more