on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Irish Keenan family come from? What is the Irish Keenan family crest and coat of arms? When did the Keenan family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Keenan family history?Irish names tend to vary widely in their spelling and overall form. The original Gaelic form of the name Keenan is O Cianain.
The Middle Ages saw a great number of spelling variations for surnames common to the Irish landscape. One reason for these variations is the fact that surnames were not rigidly fixed by this period. The following variations for the name Keenan were encountered in the archives: Keenan, O'Keenan and others.
First found in County Fermanagh (Irish: Fear Manach) in the southwestern part of Northern Ireland, Province of Ulster, where they held a family seat from ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Keenan research. Another 241 words(17 lines of text) covering the years 1600 and 1659 are included under the topic Early Keenan History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Keenan Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
A great mass of Ireland's native population left the island in the 19th century, seeking relief from various forms of social, religious, and economic discrimination. This Irish exodus was primarily to North America. If the migrants survived the long ocean journey, many unfortunately would find more discrimination in the colonies of British North America and the fledgling United States of America. These newly arrived Irish were, however, wanted as a cheap source of labor for the many large agricultural and industrial projects that were essential to the development of what would become two of the wealthiest nations in the western world. Early immigration and passenger lists indicate many people bearing the Keenan name:
Keenan Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Lawrence Keenan settled in Maryland in 1776
Keenan Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Mary Keenan, aged 24, landed in New York, NY in 1804
- Dennis Keenan, who landed in New York, NY in 1811
- Charles Keenan, aged 26, arrived in Maryland in 1812
- Michael Keenan, aged 30, arrived in New York in 1812
- Patrick Keenan, aged 31, landed in New York in 1812
Keenan Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Edward Keenan, aged 27, a labourer, arrived in Saint John, NB aboard the ship "Neptune" in 1833
- Hugh Keenan, aged 24, a labourer, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1834 aboard the brig "Betsy Heron" from Belfast
- Owen Keenan, aged 22, a labourer, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1834 aboard the brig "Betsy Heron" from Belfast
- Eleanor Keenan, aged 32, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1838 aboard the brig "Susan Maria Brooke" from Donegal
- Bessey Keenan, aged 21, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1838 aboard the brig "Susan Maria Brooke" from Donegal
Keenan Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Ann Keenan arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Inconstant" in 1849
- Catherine Keenan arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Inconstant" in 1849
- Eliza Keenan arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Inconstant" in 1849
- Catherine Keenan, aged 18, a servant, arrived in South Australia in 1850 aboard the ship "Trafalgar"
- Mary Keenan, aged 21, a servant, arrived in South Australia in 1850 aboard the ship "Trafalgar"
Keenan Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- John Keenan, aged 38, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Alumbagh" in 1875
- Anne Keenan, aged 36, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Alumbagh" in 1875
- Ann Keenan, aged 9, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Alumbagh" in 1875
- Mary Keenan, aged 5, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Alumbagh" in 1875
- Alice Keenan, aged 2, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Alumbagh" in 1875
- Paul Keenan (1955-1986), American actor, best remembered for his long-time role on the television daytime serial 'Days of our Lives'
- Frank Keenan (1858-1929), American dominant figure on stage, and a screen actor and director during the silent film era
- Brian Edmund Peter Keenan (1943-1985), American musician, drummer for The Chambers Brothers
- Barbara Milano Keenan (b. 1950), American judge on United States Court of Appeals
- Don C. Keenan (b. 1951), American trial lawyer and author, the head partner in the Keenan Law Firm, Atlanta, Georgia
- Edward L. Keenan (b. 1935), Andrew W. Mellon professor emeritus of history at Harvard University
- Harry George Keenan (1867-1944), American silent film actor who starred in 45 silent films
- Joe Keenan (b. 1958), American five-time Primetime Emmy Award-winning screenwriter, television producer and novelist, best known for his work on the television sitcom "Frasier"
- John Keenan (1840-1906), United States Army soldier, recipient of the Medal of Honor, for his actions in the Indian Wars of the western United States
- Maynard James Keenan (b. 1964), born James Herbert Keenan, an American rock singer, songwriter, musician and record producer
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Vicars, Sir Arthur. Index to the Prerogative Wills of Ireland 1536-1810. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of Ireland. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1969. Print.
- MacLysaght, Edward. The Surnames of Ireland 3rd Edition. Dublin: Irish Academic, 1978. Print. (ISBN 0-7165-2278-0).
- Fitzgerald, Thomas W. Ireland and Her People A Library of Irish Biography 5 Volumes. Chicago: Fitzgerald. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Tepper, Michael Ed & Elizabeth P. Bentley Transcriber. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of Philadelphia 1800-1819. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1986. Print.
The Keenan Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Keenan Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 30 November 2014 at 00:58.
on orders of $85 or more