In ancient Scotland
, the ancestors of the Keddie family were part of a tribe called the Picts
. The name Keddie is derived from the Gaelic surname Mac Adaidh,
which means son of Adam. Addie, Addy, Adie, Eadie, Eddie,
are all pet forms or double diminutives of the name Adam.
Early Origins of the Keddie family
The surname Keddie was first found in Perthshire
(Gaelic: Siorrachd Pheairt) former county in the present day Council Area of Perth and Kinross, located in central Scotland
, where they held a family seat
at Strathardle, in the valley of the Ardle Water. The first of the Clan
was Gillimichael M'Ade, famous in Strathardle tradition, who was alive in 1232. The name took on many forms as it emerged from the original Gaelic. MacAddie, MacKeddie, MacChaddy, and when it became fashionable to drop the Mac it became Addie, Keddie, Chaddy, even MacKiddie, and so on. Their home and clan seat
was deep in the forest of Strathardle at Petcarene. Some members of the Fergusons of the Balmacruchie became McAdies.
Early History of the Keddie family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Keddie research.Another 129 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1388, 1639, 1647, 1664, and 1670 are included under the topic Early Keddie History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Keddie Spelling Variations
The arts of spelling and translation were yet in their infancies when surnames began, so there are an enormous number of spelling variations
of the names in early Scottish records. This is a particular problem with Scottish names because of the numerous times a name might have been loosely translated to English from Gaelic and back. Keddie has been spelled MacAddie, McAddie, MacKeddie, McKeddy, MacKiddie, McKiddie, MacKedy, McKedy, MacKeddey, McKeddey, MacAdie, McAdie, Keddy, Keddie, Cheddy, Cheddie, Keddey, Kedy, Kiddie, Kiddy, Cheddey, MacEddie, McEddie, MacEddy, McEddy, Kede, Ceddy, Keddie, MacAdie and many more.
Early Notables of the Keddie family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Keddie Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Keddie family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Keddie Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Miss Helen Keddie, (b. 1855), aged 20, Scottish settler travelling from Glasgow aboard the ship "Peter Denny" arriving in Bluff, Southland, South Island, New Zealand on 25th November 1875 CITATION[CLOSE]
New Zealand Yesteryears Passenger Lists 1800 to 1900 (Retrieved 26th March 2019). Retrieved from http://www.yesteryears.co.nz/shipping/passlist.html
Contemporary Notables of the name Keddie (post 1700)
- Nikki R. Keddie (b. 1930), professor of Eastern, Iranian, and women's history awarded a 2004 Balzan Prize
- Alex Keddie (b. 1981), Scottish footballer
- Bob Keddie (b. 1946), former Australian rules footballer
- David Keddie, Australian former footballer
- Asher Keddie (b. 1974), Australian actress
Keddie Family Crest Products
- ^ New Zealand Yesteryears Passenger Lists 1800 to 1900 (Retrieved 26th March 2019). Retrieved from http://www.yesteryears.co.nz/shipping/passlist.html