Kaul History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The Gaelic name used by the Kaul family in ancient Ireland was Mac Ciele, which is derived from the word ciele, which means companion.
Early Origins of the Kaul family
The surname Kaul was first found in County Mayo (Irish: Maigh Eo) located on the West coast of the Republic of Ireland in the province of Connacht, from before the 12th century.
Important Dates for the Kaul family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Kaul research. Another 62 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Kaul History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Kaul Spelling Variations
Names written in official documents were generally spelt as they sounded, leading to the problem of one name being recorded under several different variations, creating the illusion in records of more than one person. Among the many spelling variations of the surname Kaul that are preserved in documents of the family history are MacHale, McHale, MacHail, McHail, McCale, MacCale and others.
Early Notables of the Kaul family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Kaul Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Kaul migration to New Zealand
Emigration to New Zealand followed in the footsteps of the European explorers, such as Captain Cook (1769-70): first came sealers, whalers, missionaries, and traders. By 1838, the British New Zealand Company had begun buying land from the Maori tribes, and selling it to settlers, and, after the Treaty of Waitangi in 1840, many British families set out on the arduous six month journey from Britain to Aotearoa to start a new life. Early immigrants include:
Kaul Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Mr. T. Kaul, British settler travelling from Gravesend aboard the ship "Hydaspes" arriving in Lyttelton, Christchurch, South Island, New Zealand on 28th October 1868 
Contemporary Notables of the name Kaul (post 1700)
- Lyman W. Kaul, American Republican politician, Member of Michigan Republican State Central Committee, 1963 
- Hugh Kaul (b. 1906), American politician, Member of Alabama State House of Representatives, 1939-42, 1947-50; Major in the U.S. Army during World War II 
- H. Kaul, American politician, Mayor of Forest Park, Illinois, 1925 
- Frank A. Kaul, American Democrat politician, Candidate for Presidential Elector for Pennsylvania, 1920 
- Frank Kaul, American Libertarian politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Kansas 3rd District, 1992 
- Andrew Kaul, American Democrat politician, Candidate for Presidential Elector for Pennsylvania, 1900 
- Kamala Kaul Nehru (1899-1936), the wife of Jawaharlal Nehru, leader of the Indian National Congress and first Prime Minister of India
You May Also Like
- ^ New Zealand Yesteryears Passenger Lists 1800 to 1900 (Retrieved 17th October 2018). Retrieved from http://www.yesteryears.co.nz/shipping/passlist.html
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 6) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html