100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Spanish Jimenez family come from? What is the Spanish Jimenez family crest and coat of arms? When did the Jimenez family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Jimenez family history?The mountainous borders of Spain contain the origins of the prestigious surname Jimenez. The earliest forms of hereditary surnames in Spain were the patronymic surnames, which are derived from the father's given name, and metronymic surnames, which are derived from the mother's given name. Spanish patronymic names emerged as early as the mid-9th century and the most common patronymic suffix is "ez."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Jiménez, Jimenez, Giménez, Gimenez, Siménez, Simenez, Geméniz, Gemeniz, Jeméniz, Jemeniz, Ximénez, Ximenez, Gímez, Gimez, Jimeno and many more.
First found in Old Castile, where the name originated in Visigothic times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Jimenez research. Another 171 words(12 lines of text) covering the years 1101, 1246, 1170, 1247, 1436 and 1517 are included under the topic Early Jimenez History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 181 words(13 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Jimenez Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
- Gonzalo Jiménez de Quesada, conquistador of New Granada (Colombia) and founder of the city of Bogotá
- Francisco Jiménez, who emigrated to Chile in 1560
- María Jiménez, to Colombia in 1560
- Lorenzo Jiménez, to Mexico in 1560
- Juana Jiménez, to Nicaragua in 1561
Jimenez Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Mari Jimenez, who arrived in America in 1811
- Ana Jimenez, who landed in America in 1812
- Anton Jimenez, who arrived in America in 1812
- Juan Jimenez, who landed in America in 1812
- Blas Jimenez, who arrived in America in 1812
- Jason Jimenez (b. 1976), American professional baseball player
- Juan Ramon Jimenez (1881-1958), Spanish poet, winner of the 1956 Nobel Prize for Literature
- Jerónimo Jiménez (1854-1923), Spanish composer
- Ana Belén Palomo Jiménez (b. 1977), Spanish freestyle swimmer
- José Luján Jiménez (b. 1927), Spanish composer and orchestra conductor
- Arvin "Tado" Jimenez (1974-2014), Filipino comedian, actor, radio personality, businessman and activist
- Luis Antonio Jiménez Garcés (b. 1984), Chilean footballer
- Ubaldo Jiménez García (b. 1984), Dominican Republic Major League Baseball starting pitcher for the Cleveland Indians
- Jose Alfredo Jimenez (1926-1973), Latin music artist of the 50's and 60's
- Enrique A Jiménez (1888-1970), former President of Panama
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- de Cadenas, Vicente Y Viicent. Heraldic Patronimica Española Y Sus Patronimicos Compuestos. Madrid: Hidalguía, 1976. Print.
- Diez, Ma Del Carmen Galbis. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias Durante los siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII Archivo General de Indias Sevilla Volume 6. Murcia, Spain: Ministerio de Cultura, 1986. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Domínguez, C. Hispano de Apellidos y Blasones. 4 Vols. 2001. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Annuaire Général Héraldique Universel. Paris: Institut Héraldique, 1901. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- de Cadenas, Vicente Y Viicent. Caballeros de La Orden de Santiago Siglo XVIII. Madrid: Hidalguía, 1996. Print.
The Jimenez Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Jimenez Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 14 July 2015 at 00:23.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!