on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Hyman family come from? What is the English Hyman family crest and coat of arms? When did the Hyman family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Hyman family history?The ancestors of the name Hyman date back to the days of the Anglo-Saxon tribes of Britain. The name is derived from their residence in or beside an enclosed region. The surname Hyman originally derived from the Old English word hegham which referred to an enclosed dwelling.
Hyman has been spelled many different ways, including Before English spelling became standardized over the last few hundred years, spelling variations in names were a common occurrence. As the English language changed in the Middle Ages, absorbing pieces of Latin and French, as well as other languages, the spelling of people's names also changed considerably, even over a single lifetime. Hyam, Hyams, Hygham, Hyham, Higham, Highams and many more.
First found in Cheshire where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hyman research. Another 201 words (14 lines of text) covering the years 1440, 1560, 1495, 1571, 1554, 1555, 1568, 1634 and 1545 are included under the topic Early Hyman History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 123 words (9 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Hyman Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
In an attempt to escape the chaos experienced in England, many English families boarded overcrowded and diseased ships sailing for the shores of North America and other British colonies. Those families hardy enough, and lucky enough, to make the passage intact were rewarded with land and a social environment less prone to religious and political persecution. Many of these families became important contributors to the young colonies in which they settled. Early immigration and passenger lists have documented some of the first Hymans to arrive on North American shores:
Hyman Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Margaret Hyman, who arrived in New York, NY in 1739
Hyman Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Henry Hyman, aged 30, arrived in New York in 1812
- E Hyman, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1851
- R Hyman, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1851
- S Hyman, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
- James Hyman, who landed in Mississippi in 1853
Hyman Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
Hyman Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- W. Hyman arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Tongariro" in 1888
- Samuel Hyman arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Tongariro" in 1888
- John Adams Hyman (1840-1891), American Republican U.S. Congressman
- Jackie Diamond Hyman (b. 1949), American author and former Associated Press reporter and columnist
- B. D. Hyman (b. 1947), American author and pastor
- Ira Hyman, American Psychologist
- Stanley Edgar Hyman (1919-1970), American literary critic
- Trina Schart Hyman (1939-2004), American illustrator of children's books
- Mac Hyman (1923-1963), American fiction writer
- Flora Jean Hyman (1954-1986), American volleyball player
- Libbie Henrietta Hyman (1888-1969), American zoologist
- Ray Hyman (b. 1928), American Professor Emeritus of Psychology
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds. Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
The Hyman Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Hyman Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 23 November 2015 at 15:32.
on orders of $85 or more