on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Scottish Hutchinson family come from? What is the Scottish Hutchinson family crest and coat of arms? When did the Hutchinson family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Hutchinson family history?The name Hutchinson was first used by Viking settlers in ancient Scotland. It was derived from Huchon, a diminutive form of Hugh. Patronymic surnames arose out of the vernacular and religious given name traditions. This name is the equivalent of Hugh in the vernacular of Scotland. The suffix son indicates "son of."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Hutchinson, Hutchenson and others.
First found in Northumberland, where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hutchinson research. Another 197 words(14 lines of text) covering the years 1586, 1642, 1634, 1587, 1643, 1615, 1664, 1663, 1591, 1643, 1620, 1681, 1660, 1739, 1797 and are included under the topic Early Hutchinson History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 265 words(19 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Hutchinson Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Hutchinson family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 187 words(13 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Hutchinson Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Richard Hutchinson settled in Salem in 1630
- George Hutchinson, who arrived in Charlestown, Massachusetts in 1632
- Thomas Hutchinson, who landed in Boston, Massachusetts in 1632
- Joe Hutchinson settled in Virginia in 1634
- Edward Hutchinson, who settled in Boston in 1634 with Mary, his wife
Hutchinson Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Cha Hutchinson, who landed in Virginia in 1712
- Nicholas Hutchinson, who landed in Virginia in 1713
- Jennet Hutchinson, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1740
- Margaret Hutchinson, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1740
- John Hutchinson arrived in New York State in 1774 with his wife Margaret and five children
Hutchinson Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- James Hutchinson, aged 23, arrived in New York in 1811
- Henry Hutchinson, aged 19, landed in New York in 1812
- Walter Hutchinson, aged 31, landed in Connecticut in 1812
- William Hutchinson, aged 25, arrived in Boston, Massachusetts in 1822
- Joseph Hutchinson, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1823
Hutchinson Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Hannah Hutchinson, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1749-1752
Hutchinson Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Hiram Hutchinson, who arrived in Canada in 1841
- Horatio Nelson Hutchinson, who landed in Canada in 1841
Hutchinson Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- William Hutchinson, English convict from York, who was transported aboard the "Ann" on August 1809, settling in New South Wales, Australia
- George Hutchinson, a saddler, arrived in New South Wales, Australia sometime between 1825 and 1832
- Bingham Hutchinson, aged 29, a land proprietor, arrived in Kangaroo Island aboard the ship "Buffalo" in 1836
- James Hutchinson arrived in Holdfast Bay, Australia aboard the ship "Canton" in 1838
- James Hutchinson arrived in Glenelg Roads aboard the ship "Pestonjee Bomanjee" in 1838
Hutchinson Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Mr Hutchinson landed in Wellington, New Zealand in 1840 aboard the ship Blenheim
- J. G. Hutchinson arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "William Watson" in 1859
- William Hutchinson arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Nimroud" in 1860
- Allen Hutchinson arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Morning Star" in 1861
- David Hutchinson arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Morning Star" in 1861
- Meg Hutchinson Ph.D. (b. 1978), American folk singer-songwriter
- John Irwin Hutchinson Ph.D. (1867-1935), American mathematician
- William Forrest "Wild Bill" Hutchinson (1859-1926), American Major League Baseball player
- George Evelyn Hutchinson (b. 1903), American zoologist posthumously awarded the National Medal of Science in 1991
- Brigadier-General Donald Robert Hutchinson (1909-1989), American Commanding Officer 311th Reconnaissance Wing (1946-1947)
- Allen Hutchinson (1855-1929), English sculptor
- Ray Coryton Hutchinson Ph.D. (1907-1975), British novelist
- Richard Michael John Hely Hutchinson (b. 1927), Irish nobleman, 8th Earl of Donoughmore and a Captain in the Royal Army Medical Corps
- Arthur Stuart-Menteth Hutchinson (1879-1971), British novelist
- James Hutchinson VC (1895-1972), British recipient of the Victoria Cross during World War I
- Fulton, Alexander. Scotland and Her Tartans: The Romantic Heritage of the Scottish Clans and Families. Godalming: Bramley, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-86283-880-0).
- Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-19-822525-3).
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Barrow, G.W.S Ed. Acts of Malcom IV 1153-65 Volume I Regesta Regum Scottorum 1153-1424. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 1960. Print.
- Black, George F. The Surnames of Scotland Their Origin, Meaning and History. New York: New York Public Library, 1946. Print. (ISBN 0-87104-172-3).
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1970. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Paul, Sir James Balfour. An Ordinary of Arms Contained in the Public Register of All Arms and Bearings in Scotland Second Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1903. Print.
The Hutchinson Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Hutchinson Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 11 December 2014 at 21:05.
on orders of $85 or more