on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Where did the Scottish Hutchinson family come from? What is the Scottish Hutchinson family crest and coat of arms? When did the Hutchinson family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Hutchinson family history?The name Hutchinson was first used by Viking settlers in ancient Scotland. It was derived from Huchon, a diminutive form of Hugh. Patronymic surnames arose out of the vernacular and religious given name traditions. This name is the equivalent of Hugh in the vernacular of Scotland. The suffix son indicates "son of."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Hutchinson, Hutchenson and others.
First found in Northumberland, where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hutchinson research. Another 197 words (14 lines of text) covering the years 1586, 1642, 1634, 1587, 1643, 1615, 1664, 1663, 1591, 1643, 1620, 1681, 1660, 1739, 1797 and are included under the topic Early Hutchinson History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 265 words (19 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Hutchinson Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Hutchinson family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 187 words (13 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Hutchinson Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Richard Hutchinson settled in Salem in 1630
- George Hutchinson, who arrived in Charlestown, Massachusetts in 1632
- Thomas Hutchinson, who landed in Boston, Massachusetts in 1632
- Joe Hutchinson settled in Virginia in 1634
- Edward Hutchinson, who settled in Boston in 1634 with Mary, his wife
Hutchinson Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Cha Hutchinson, who landed in Virginia in 1712
- Nicholas Hutchinson, who landed in Virginia in 1713
- Jennet Hutchinson, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1740
- Margaret Hutchinson, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1740
- John Hutchinson arrived in New York State in 1774 with his wife Margaret and five children
Hutchinson Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- James Hutchinson, aged 23, arrived in New York in 1811
- Henry Hutchinson, aged 19, landed in New York in 1812
- Walter Hutchinson, aged 31, landed in Connecticut in 1812
- William Hutchinson, aged 25, arrived in Boston, Massachusetts in 1822
- Joseph Hutchinson, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1823
Hutchinson Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Hannah Hutchinson, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1749-1752
- Mr. Marmaduke Hutchinson Sr., U.E. (b. 1755) fromNew Britain Township, Bucks County, Pennsylvania, USA who settled in Grand Lake Meadows, Queen's County, New Brunswick c. 1783 he travelled aboard the spring fleet from New York with his wife Martha and family, they are listed as a family of Quakers of the Society of Friends Religious organisation
- Mr. Robert Hutchinson U.E. who settled in Canada c. 1784
- Mr. William Hutchinson U.E. born in Massachusetts, USA who settled in Carleton [Saint John City], New Brunswick c. 1784
- Mrs. Agnes Hutchinson U.E. who settled in Canada c. 1784
Hutchinson Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Hiram Hutchinson, who arrived in Canada in 1841
- Horatio Nelson Hutchinson, who landed in Canada in 1841
Hutchinson Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- William Hutchinson, English convict from York, who was transported aboard the "Ann" on August 1809, settling in New South Wales, Australia
- George Hutchinson, a saddler, arrived in New South Wales, Australia sometime between 1825 and 1832
- Bingham Hutchinson, aged 29, a land proprietor, arrived in Kangaroo Island aboard the ship "Buffalo" in 1836
- James Hutchinson arrived in Holdfast Bay, Australia aboard the ship "Canton" in 1838
- James Hutchinson arrived in Glenelg Roads aboard the ship "Pestonjee Bomanjee" in 1838
Hutchinson Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Mr Hutchinson landed in Wellington, New Zealand in 1840 aboard the ship Blenheim
- J. G. Hutchinson arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "William Watson" in 1859
- William Hutchinson arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Nimroud" in 1860
- Allen Hutchinson arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Morning Star" in 1861
- David Hutchinson arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Morning Star" in 1861
- Brigadier-General Donald Robert Hutchinson (1909-1989), American Commanding Officer 311th Reconnaissance Wing (1946-1947)
- George Evelyn Hutchinson (b. 1903), American zoologist posthumously awarded the National Medal of Science in 1991
- William Forrest "Wild Bill" Hutchinson (1859-1926), American Major League Baseball player
- John Irwin Hutchinson Ph.D. (1867-1935), American mathematician
- Meg Hutchinson Ph.D. (b. 1978), American folk singer-songwriter
- Mr. George Hutchinson, English Fireman from England, who worked aboard the RMS Lusitania and survived the sinking
- Mr. George Hutchinson, English Chief Electrician from Fordsham, Cheshire, England, who worked aboard the RMS Lusitania and survived the sinking
- Miss Phyllis Hutchinson (d. 1915), English 1st Class Passenger from Cheshire, England, who sailed aboard the RMS Lusitania and died in the sinking
- Mr. Roy Harold Hutchinson (1910-1941), Australian Able Seaman from Petersham, New South Wales, Australia, who sailed into battle aboard HMAS Sydney II on the 19th November 1941 and died during the sinking
- Mr. Richard Hutchinson (1919-1941), Australian Able Seaman from Collingwood, Victoria, Australia, who sailed into battle aboard HMAS Sydney II on the 19th November 1941 and died during the sinking
- Paul, Sir James Balfour. An Ordinary of Arms Contained in the Public Register of All Arms and Bearings in Scotland Second Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1903. Print.
- Prebble, John. The Highland Clearances. London: Secker & Warburg, 1963. Print.
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. Scots Heraldry A Practical Handbook on the Historical Principles and Mordern Application of the Art and Science. London: Oliver and Boyd, 1934. Print.
- Barrow, G.W.S Ed. Acts of Malcom IV 1153-65 Volume I Regesta Regum Scottorum 1153-1424. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 1960. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Skene, William Forbes Edition. Chronicles of the Picts, Chronicles of the Scots and Other Early Memorials of Scottish History. Edinburgh: H.M. General Register House, 1867. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Catholic Directory For Scotland. Glasgow: Burns Publications. Print.
The Hutchinson Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Hutchinson Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 7 January 2016 at 00:22.
on orders of $85 or more