The origins of the Welsh
name Huish go back to the ancient Celtic culture that existed in the hills and Moors
. The forbears that initially held the name Huish once lived in one of the various places named Huish in the English counties of Devon
, and Wiltshire
. The surname Huish belongs to the category of habitation names, which are derived from pre-existing names for towns, villages, parishes, or farmsteads.
Early Origins of the Huish family
The surname Huish was first found in Somerset
, where they held a family seat
from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest
and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Early History of the Huish family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Huish research.Another 199 words (14 lines of text) covering the year 1120 is included under the topic Early Huish History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Huish Spelling Variations
Compared to other ancient cultures found in the British Isles, the number of Welsh
surnames are relatively few, but there are an inordinately large number of spelling variations
. These spelling variations
began almost as soon as surname usage became common. As a result, people could not specify how to spell their own names leaving the specific recording up to the individual scribe or priest. Those recorders would then spell the names as they heard them, causing many different variations. Later, many Welsh
names were recorded in English. This transliteration process was extremely imprecise since the Brythonic Celtic
language of the Welsh
used many sounds the English language was not accustomed to. Finally, some variations occurred by the individual's design: a branch loyalty within a family, a religious adherence, or even patriotic affiliations were indicated by spelling variations of one's name. The Huish name over the years has been spelled Huish, Huysh, Hewish, Hywis, Huyse, Huyish and many more.
Early Notables of the Huish family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Huish Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Huish family to the New World and Oceana
began to emigrate to North America in the late 1800s and early 1900s in search of land, work, and freedom. Those that arrived helped shape the industry, commerce, and the cultural heritage of both Canada and the United States. The records regarding immigration and passenger show a number of people bearing the name Huish:
Huish Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Joseph Huish who settled in Nevis in 1654
Huish Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- George Hyde Huish, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1860 CITATION[CLOSE]
Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- Mrs. S.W. Huish, aged 29, who landed in America, in 1895
Huish Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Frederick Henry Huish, aged 30, who emigrated to the United States from London, in 1903
- Frederick Huish, aged 20, who settled in America from Streit, England, in 1907
- Emma M. Huish, aged 27, who landed in America from Newton-Ce-Willon, England, in 1910
- Frank Huish, aged 36, who emigrated to the United States from Newton-Ce-Willon, England, in 1910
- Mary Ellen Huish, aged 23, who landed in America from North Shields, England, in 1910
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Huish Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- John Huish, aged 26, a labourer, who arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Punjab"
Contemporary Notables of the name Huish (post 1700)
- Justin Huish (b. 1975), American two-time gold medalist Olympic archer at the 1996 Summer Olympics
- Marcus Bourne Huish (1843-1921), English barrister, writer and art dealer
- Robert Huish (1777-1850), English author of history books and novels
- Orson Pratt Huish (1851-1932), Latter Day Saint hymnwriter
- David Huish (b. 1944), Scottish professional golfer
- Captain Mark Huish (1808-1867), English railway manager
- Frederick Henry Huish (1869-1957), English cricketer
- Richard Huish, English founder of Richard Huish College, Somerset