Hubbell History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The name Hubbell is tied to the ancient Anglo-Saxon culture of England. It comes from the Old French name Hubaut or one of the Old German names Hugibald or Hubald. These names have the literal meaning of mind-bold. 
Early Origins of the Hubbell family
The surname Hubbell was first found in Hampshire where Bernard Hubold was listed at Winton in 1148. A few years later Henry Hubaut, Hubald, Hubalt was listed in the Pipe Rolls of Warwickshire in 1205 and in the same year Hubald de Bereford was listed in the Pipe Rolls of Herefordshire.  Hugo Hubald, Hubolt was listed in the Domesday Book of 1086. 
Early History of the Hubbell family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hubbell research. Another 61 words (4 lines of text) covering the years 1148 and 1199 are included under the topic Early Hubbell History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Hubbell Spelling Variations
Only recently has spelling become standardized in the English language. As the English language evolved in the Middle Ages, the spelling of names changed also. The name Hubbell has undergone many spelling variations, including Hubble, Hubel, Hubell, Hubbold, Hubbald, Hubball and others.
Early Notables of the Hubbell family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Hubbell Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Hubbell is the 5,667th most popular surname with an estimated 4,974 people with that name. 
Hubbell migration to the United States +
To escape the unstable social climate in England of this time, many families boarded ships for the New World with the hope of finding land, opportunity, and greater religious and political freedom. Although the voyages were expensive, crowded, and difficult, those families that arrived often found greater opportunities and freedoms than they could have experienced at home. Many of those families went on to make significant contributions to the rapidly developing colonies in which they settled. Early North American records indicate many people bearing the name Hubbell were among those contributors:
Hubbell Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Richard Hubbell, who arrived in Connecticut in 1631-1639 
Hubbell Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- J. G. Hubbell, who arrived in San Francisco in 1850 along with a Miss M. Hubbell
- A. A. Hubbell, aged 41, who landed in America, in 1892
- Chas. H. Hubbell, aged 33, who immigrated to America from London, in 1892
- E. Hubbell, who landed in America from London, in 1892
- Alvin A. Hubbell, aged 48, who settled in America, in 1894
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Hubbell Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- B. G. Hubbell, aged 35, who landed in America, in 1905
- Caroline S. Hubbell, who immigrated to the United States, in 1909
- Charles E. Hubbell, aged 40, who landed in America, in 1914
Contemporary Notables of the name Hubbell (post 1700) +
- William Stone Hubbell (1837-1930), U.S. Army captain during the American Civil War, recipient of the Medal of Honor for his actions at the Battle of Chaffin's Farm
- William Spring Hubbell (1801-1873), American politician
- Webster Hubbell (b. 1949), American lawyer, politician
- John Raymond Hubbell (1879-1954), American composer, best remembered for his song "Poor Butterfly"
- John Howard Hubbell (b. 1925), American radiation physicist
- Jay Abel Hubbell (1829-1900), American politician
- Harvey Hubbell III (1857-1927), American inventor, entrepreneur, industrialist, best known as tyhe inventor of the electrical plug
- Carl Hubbell (1903-1988), American Major League Baseball player
- Wayne L. Hubbell (b. 1943), American biochemist and member of the National Academy of Sciences
- James Randolph Hubbell (1824-1890), American politician from Ohio
- ... (Another 4 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Related Stories +
Suggested Readings for the name Hubbell +
- Ancestors and Descendants of My Raymoure, Hubbell, Franklin, Osborne Grandparents: Includes 40+ Connecting Lines by Dorothy Raymoure.
- History and Genealogy of the Hubbell Family by Harold Berresford Hubbell Jr. et al.
- ^ Reaney, P.H and R.M. Wilson, A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X)
- ^ Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds., Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8)
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)