Howerton History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Howerton is a name of ancient Norman origin. It arrived in England with the Norman Conquest of 1066. The Howerton family lived in Huet, near Evreux, in Normandy, France.  The name is extended to denote "son of," as in "son of Huet." 
Early Origins of the Howerton family
The surname Howerton was first found in Yorkshire, where Henry Hwetsone was listed as a Freeman of York in 1363. A few years later, Richard Huetson was listed in the Yorkshire Poll Tax Rolls of 1379. 
Early History of the Howerton family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Howerton research. Another 83 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1180, 1489 and 1544 are included under the topic Early Howerton History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Howerton Spelling Variations
Endless spelling variations are a prevailing characteristic of Norman surnames. Old and Middle English lacked any definite spelling rules, and the introduction of Norman French added an unfamiliar ingredient to the English linguistic stew. French and Latin, the languages of the court, also influenced spellings. Finally, Medieval scribes generally spelled words according to how they sounded, so one person was often referred to by different spellings in different documents. The name has been spelled Hewitson, Hewartson, Hewetson and others.
Early Notables of the Howerton family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Howerton Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Howerton family to Ireland
Some of the Howerton family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 41 words (3 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Howerton migration to the United States +
To escape the political and religious persecution within England at the time, many English families left for the various British colonies abroad. The voyage was extremely difficult, though, and the cramped, dank ships caused many to arrive in the New World diseased and starving. But for those who made it, the trip was most often worth it. Many of the families who arrived went on to make valuable contributions to the emerging nations of Canada and the United States. An inquiry into the early roots of North American families reveals a number of immigrants bearing the name Howerton or a variant listed above:
Howerton Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- John Howerton, who landed in Maryland in 1663 
Howerton Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- J. R. Howerton, who arrived in America from USA, in 1904
- Calvine Howerton, aged 45, who arrived Pocomake City, Maryland, in 1922
Contemporary Notables of the name Howerton (post 1700) +
- Z. Hampton Howerton Sr., American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from North Carolina, 1948 
- William H. Howerton, American politician, Secretary of State of North Carolina, 1872-75 
- Thomas Howerton, American politician, Member of North Carolina House of Commons from Franklin County, 1835-41 
- Joyce Howerton, American politician, Mayor of Lompoc, California, 1992-98 
- J. William Howerton, American politician, Candidate for justice of Kentucky State Supreme Court 1st District, 1990 
- Frank Howerton, American Republican politician, Candidate for Missouri State House of Representatives from Knox County, 1938 
- Mrs. Davis Howerton, American Democratic Party politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Kentucky, 1948 
- Drew Howerton (b. 1979), American actor, known for The Daughter (2013), Buddha/Warrior (2015) and Mantivities
- Lynn Howerton, American actress, known for her roles in Dallas (1978)
- Charles Howerton (b. 1938), American actor, known for his roles in The Iron Giant (1999), G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra (2009) and Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (1993)
- ... (Another 4 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Related Stories +
- ^ The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X)
- ^ Reaney, P.H and R.M. Wilson, A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X)
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, August 11) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html