100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
Houldsworth History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The ancestry of the name Houldsworth dates from the ancient Anglo-Saxon
culture of Britain. It comes from when the family lived in the county of Yorkshire
, where they held manor at Haldsworth.
Early Origins of the Houldsworth family
The surname Houldsworth was first found in Yorkshire
where they held a family seat
from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest
and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Early History of the Houldsworth family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Houldsworth research.Another 183 words (13 lines of text) covering the years 127 and 1273 are included under the topic Early Houldsworth History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Houldsworth Spelling Variations
in names were a common occurrence before English spelling was standardized a few hundred
years ago. In the Middle Ages, even the literate spelled their names differently as the English language incorporated elements of French, Latin, and other European languages. Many variations of the name Houldsworth have been found, including Holdsworth, Holesworth, Houlsworth, Holdworth, Houldworth and many more.
Early Notables of the Houldsworth family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Houldsworth Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Houldsworth family to the New World and Oceana
Families began migrating abroad in enormous numbers because of the political and religious discontent in England
. Often faced with persecution and starvation in England
, the possibilities of the New World attracted many English people. Although the ocean trips took many lives, those who did get to North America were instrumental in building the necessary groundwork for what would become for new powerful nations. Some of the first immigrants to cross the Atlantic and come to North America bore the name Houldsworth, or a variant listed above:
Houldsworth Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Samuel Houldsworth, who arrived in Maryland in 1678 CITATION[CLOSE]
Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
Houldsworth Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Scholas Houldsworth, who arrived in Philadelphia in 1856
- Emily Houldsworth, aged 27, who landed in America from Liverpool, in 1897
Houldsworth Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Emma Houldsworth, aged 35, who settled in America from Bradford, England, in 1906
- Ambrose Houldsworth, aged 58, who emigrated to America from Salford, England, in 1907
- Lewis Henry Houldsworth, aged 29, who emigrated to the United States from Beeston, England, in 1909
- Samuel Houldsworth, aged 24, who emigrated to America from Nottingham, England, in 1911
- Louis Henry Houldsworth, aged 33, who landed in America from Sudbury, England, in 1912
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Houldsworth (post 1700)
- Sir William Henry Houldsworth (1834-1917), 1st Baronet, an English mill-owner, Conservative MP for Manchester North West (1883 to 1906)
- Freddie Charlton Houldsworth (1911-1994), English footballer
- Thomas Houldsworth (1771-1852), English politician
- Sir Richard Thomas Reginald Houldsworth (b. 1947), 5th Baronet
- Sir Reginald Douglas Henry Houldsworth (1903-1989), 4th Baronet
- Sir William Thomas Reginald Houldsworth (1874-1960), 3rd Baronet
- Sir Henry Hamilton Houldsworth (1867-1947), 2nd Baronet
- Margaret Marshall Houldsworth (1839-1909), British campaigner for women's education and philanthropist
Houldsworth Family Crest Products
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!