name Holdswithay comes from when the family resided in the county of Yorkshire
, where they held manor at Haldsworth.
Early Origins of the Holdswithay family
The surname Holdswithay was first found in Yorkshire
where they held a family seat
from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest
and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Early History of the Holdswithay family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Holdswithay research.Another 183 words (13 lines of text) covering the years 127 and 1273 are included under the topic Early Holdswithay History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Holdswithay Spelling Variations
Before English spelling was standardized a few hundred
years ago, spelling variations
of names were a common occurrence. Elements of Latin, French and other languages became incorporated into English through the Middle Ages, and name spellings changed even among the literate. The variations of the surname Holdswithay include Holdsworth, Holesworth, Houlsworth, Holdworth, Houldworth and many more.
Early Notables of the Holdswithay family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Holdswithay Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Holdswithay family to the New World and Oceana
A great wave of immigration to the New World was the result of the enormous political and religious disarray that struck England
at that time. Families left for the New World in extremely large numbers. The long journey was the end of many immigrants and many more arrived sick and starving. Still, those who made it were rewarded with an opportunity far greater than they had known at home in England
. These emigrant families went on to make significant contributions to these emerging colonies in which they settled. Some of the first North American settlers carried this name or one of its variants: Seth Holdsworth settled in Barbados in 1675; Scholas Houldsworth arrived in Philadelphia in 1856.