Holditch History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The name Holditch belongs to the early history of Britain, it's origins lie with the Anglo-Saxons. It is a product of their having lived in Holdich, Norfolk. This locale cannot be found today, but was listed pre 1700.
Early Origins of the Holditch family
The surname Holditch was first found in Devon where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Early History of the Holditch family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Holditch research. Another 80 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1600 and 1720 are included under the topic Early Holditch History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Holditch Spelling Variations
Until the dictionary, an invention of only the last few hundred years, the English language lacked any comprehensive system of spelling rules. Consequently, spelling variations in names are frequently found in early Anglo-Saxon and later Anglo-Norman documents. One person's name was often spelled several different ways over a lifetime. The recorded variations of Holditch include Holditch, Holdich, Holdrich, Holdridge, Hilditch and many more.
Early Notables of the Holditch family (pre 1700)
Another 42 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Holditch Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Holditch migration to the United States +
Thousands of English families boarded ships sailing to the New World in the hope of escaping the unrest found in England at this time. Although the search for opportunity and freedom from persecution abroad took the lives of many because of the cramped conditions and unsanitary nature of the vessels, the opportunity perceived in the growing colonies of North America beckoned. Many of the settlers who survived the journey went on to make important contributions to the transplanted cultures of their adopted countries. The Holditch were among these contributors, for they have been located in early North American records:
Holditch Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Dorothy Emily Holditch, who landed in America, in 1905
- Edith Rees Holditch, who immigrated to the United States, in 1905
- Ernest Holditch, aged 25, who settled in America from Johannesburg, South Africa, in 1905
- Martin Holditch, aged 61, who landed in America, in 1906
- Ernest Frank Holditch, aged 28, who immigrated to the United States from London, England, in 1907
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Holditch (post 1700) +
- Kenneth Holditch Ph.D., American author and Professor Emeritus at the University of New Orleans
- Stephen A Holditch Ph.D., Head of the Petroleum Engineering Department at Texas A&M University elected to the U.S. National Academy of Engineering in 1995
Related Stories +