on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The name Hinson is tied to the ancient Anglo-Saxon
culture of England
. It comes from son of Hind.
The surname Hinson was first found in Yorkshire
, where they held a family seat
from very early times.
Only recently has spelling become standardized in the English language. As the English language evolved in the Middle Ages, the spelling of names changed also. The name Hinson has undergone many spelling variations, including Hinson, Hineson, Hindson, Hyneson, Hynson and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hinson research. Another 274 words (20 lines of text) covering the years 1379, 1507, 1617, and 1673 are included under the topic Early Hinson History in all our PDF Extended History products
More information is included under the topic Early Hinson Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the Hinson family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 132 words (9 lines of text) about their life in Ireland
is included in all our PDF Extended History products
To escape the unstable social climate in England
of this time, many families boarded ships for the New World with the hope of finding land, opportunity, and greater religious and political freedom. Although the voyages were expensive, crowded, and difficult, those families that arrived often found greater opportunities and freedoms than they could have experienced at home. Many of those families went on to make significant contributions to the rapidly developing colonies in which they settled. Early North American records indicate many people bearing the name Hinson were among those contributors:
Hinson Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Ralph Hinson, who arrived in Boston, Massachusetts in 1634
- John Hinson, who sailed to St. Christopher in 1635
- Jo Hinson, aged 21, landed in St Christopher in 1635
- William Hinson, who landed in Maryland in 1650
- Thomas Hinson, who landed in Maryland in 1651
Hinson Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Mary Hinson, who arrived in Virginia in 1714
- Oril Hinson, who landed in Virginia in 1714
- Ore Hinson, who arrived in Virginia in 1724
Hinson Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Joseph Hinson came to Philadelphia in 1812
- Martin Hinson settled in Mobile, Alabama in 1852
- Martin Hinson, aged 28, landed in Mobile, Ala in 1852
- Andrew Hinson arrived in Arkansas in 1896
- Andrew Hinson, who arrived in Arkansas in 1896
Hinson Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Mary Hinson, English convict from Lincoln, who was transported aboard the "Angelina" on April 25, 1844, settling in Van Diemen's Land, Australia
- Richard Hinson arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Stebonheath" in 1849
- John Hinson, award winning American pianist and composer
- Vanessa K Hinson MD, Ph.D., American Assistant Professor of Neurology at the Medical University of South Carolina
- Howard Hinson, American geologist, engineer and oil company executive
- David R. Hinson, American businessman, former head of Midway Airlines
- Paul Hinson (1904-1960), American Major League Baseball player
- Larry Hinson (b. 1944), American PGA professional golfer
- Darnell Hinson (b. 1980), American basketball player
- Barry Hinson (b. 1961), NCAA basketball coach
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Lennard, Reginald. Rural England 1086-1135 A Study of Social and Agrarian Conditions. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1959. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
The Hinson Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Hinson Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 25 May 2016 at 16:56.
on orders of $85 or more