Hinshaw History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The name Hinshaw is part of the ancient legacy of the Anglo-Saxon tribes of Britain. It is a product of when the family lived in the settlement of Henshaw in Northumberland, or in the settlement of Henshaw in Prestbury, which is in the county of Cheshire. The surname Hinshaw belongs to the large category of Anglo-Saxon habitation names, which are derived from pre-existing names for towns, villages, parishes, or farmsteads.
Early Origins of the Hinshaw family
The surname Hinshaw was first found in Cheshire where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Important Dates for the Hinshaw family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hinshaw research. Another 70 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 1300, 1628, 1673, 1663, 1608, 1679, 1663, 1618 and 1700 are included under the topic Early Hinshaw History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Hinshaw Spelling Variations
The first dictionaries that appeared in the last few hundred years did much to standardize the English language. Before that time, spelling variations in names were a common occurrence. The language was changing, incorporating pieces of other languages, and the spelling of names changed with it. Hinshaw has been spelled many different ways, including Henshaw, Henshall, Henshawe and others.
Early Notables of the Hinshaw family (pre 1700)
Another 44 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Hinshaw Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Hinshaw migration to the United States
Thousands of English families in this era began to emigrate the New World in search of land and freedom from religious and political persecution. Although the passage was expensive and the ships were dark, crowded, and unsafe, those who made the voyage safely were rewarded with opportunities unavailable to them in their homeland. Research into passenger and immigration lists has revealed some of the very first Hinshaws to arrive in North America:
Typical Hinshaw Emigration from the United Kingdom to North America
Hinshaw Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Ann Hinshaw, who landed in Virginia in 1642 
- Mary Hinshaw, who arrived in Virginia in 1642 
- Tho Hinshaw, who landed in Virginia in 1646 
Contemporary Notables of the name Hinshaw (post 1700)
- Alexander Omar Hinshaw (b. 1982), American Major League Baseball player
- Edmund Howard Hinshaw (1860-1932), American politician, Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Nebraska (1903-1911)
- John Carl Hinshaw (1894-1956), American politician, United States Representative from California (1939-1943)
- Jerry E. Hinshaw (1917-2003), American politician, Member of the Arkansas House of Representatives (1981-1996)
You May Also Like
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)