100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
name Hilliard comes from the family having resided in Somerset
. As a local
name, it was derived from the local at the hill-garth.
The name could also have been an occupational
name for a hellier
who was a roofer, tiler or thatcher.
The surname Hilliard was first found in Yorkshire
where they held a family seat
from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest
and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Hilliard has been spelled many different ways, including Before English spelling became standardized over the last few hundred years, spelling variations in names were a common occurrence. As the English language changed in the Middle Ages, absorbing pieces of Latin and French, as well as other languages, the spelling of people's names also changed considerably, even over a single lifetime. Hilliard, Hildyard, Hillard, Hildheard and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hilliard research. Another 331 words (24 lines of text) covering the years 1109, 1485, 1537, 1602, 1612, 1619, 1640, 1660, 1670, 1685, 1716, 1729, 1743, 1781, and 1814 are included under the topic Early Hilliard History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 57 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Hilliard Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
In an attempt to escape the chaos experienced in England
, many English families boarded overcrowded and diseased ships sailing for the shores of North America and other British colonies. Those families hardy enough, and lucky enough, to make the passage intact were rewarded with land and a social environment less prone to religious and political persecution. Many of these families became important contributors to the young colonies in which they settled. Early immigration and passenger lists have documented some of the first Hilliards to arrive on North American shores:
Hilliard Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Gregory Hilliard, who arrived in Virginia in 1622
- John and Gregory Hilliard, who settled in Virginia in 1623
- John Hilliard, who landed in Maryland in 1633
- Hugh Hilliard, who arrived in Massachusetts in 1634
- Jo Hilliard, aged 18, landed in Barbados in 1635
Hilliard Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Sarah Hilliard, who landed in Maryland or Virginia in 1730
- Samuel Hilliard settled in Maryland in 1741
- Richard Hilliard, who arrived in New York in 1794
Hilliard Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Christopher Hilliard, who arrived in Maryland in 1808
Hilliard Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Henry Hilliard, aged 19, landed in Canada in 1815
- John Hilliard, aged 18, a labourer, arrived in Saint John, NB aboard the ship "Cupid" in 1834
- Lonson Hilliard, who landed in Canada in 1840
Hilliard Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- William Hilliard, English convict from Durham, who was transported aboard the "Ann" on August 1809, settling in New South Wales, Australia
Hilliard Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- George Hilliard landed in Wellington, New Zealand in 1841
- Mr. Herbert Henry Hilliard (d. 1912), aged 44, American First Class passenger from Brighton, Massachusetts who sailed aboard the RMS Titanic and died in the sinking
- Christopher Hilliard, American Democrat politician, Postmaster at Hagerstown, Maryland, 1847-49
- Carole Hilliard, American Republican politician, Lieutenant Governor of South Dakota; Elected 1994; Presidential Elector for South Dakota, 2000
- C. M. Hilliard, American Democrat politician, Candidate for Wisconsin State Assembly from Buffalo and Pepin counties, 1902
- Benjamin Clark Hilliard (1868-1951), American Democrat politician, Member of Colorado State Legislature; U.S. Representative from Colorado 1st District, 1915-19; Defeated, 1918, 1920, 1922, 1926
- Aubrey Hilliard, American Republican politician, Member of Massachusetts State House of Representatives Sixth Norfolk District, 1905
- Clarence Ross Hilliard (1894-1976), American Republican politician, Ingham County Clerk, 1925-72; Member of Michigan Republican State Central Committee, 1957-59
- Denison Hewitt Hilliard (1798-1871), American politician, Supervisor of Delhi Township, Michigan, 1853-54, 1855-56, 1857-58, 1863; Appointed 1863
- Earl Hilliard, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Kentucky, 1940
- Earl F. Hilliard Jr., American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Alabama, 2008
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Lennard, Reginald. Rural England 1086-1135 A Study of Social and Agrarian Conditions. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1959. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of England and Wales. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1971. Print.
- Cook, Chris. English Historical Facts 1603-1688. London: MacMillan, 1980. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin . Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
The Hilliard Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Hilliard Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 17 December 2015 at 13:34.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!