100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The Anglo-Saxon name Hileman comes from when the family resided on or near a hill. Further research showed the name was derived from the Old English words hyll, which meant hill. Combined the name means "dweller on the hill."
Before English spelling was standardized a few hundred years ago, spelling variations of names were a common occurrence. Elements of Latin, French and other languages became incorporated into English through the Middle Ages, and name spellings changed even among the literate. The variations of the surname Hileman include Hillman, Hilman, Hilleman and others.
First found in Hampshire where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hileman research. Another 260 words (19 lines of text) covering the years 1273 and 1327 are included under the topic Early Hileman History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Hileman Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
A great wave of immigration to the New World was the result of the enormous political and religious disarray that struck England at that time. Families left for the New World in extremely large numbers. The long journey was the end of many immigrants and many more arrived sick and starving. Still, those who made it were rewarded with an opportunity far greater than they had known at home in England. These emigrant families went on to make significant contributions to these emerging colonies in which they settled. Some of the first North American settlers carried this name or one of its variants:
Hileman Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Philip Hileman, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1863
- A. F. Hileman (1851-1898), American politician, Speaker of the North Carolina House of Representatives in 1897
- Scott Hileman (b. 1972), retired American soccer goalkeeper who played from 1995 to 2004
- Tomar Jacob "T. J." Hileman (1882-1945), American photographer, best known for his photos of Glacier Park in Montana, and the Blackfoot people, some of his photos are evidence of climate change on the Grinnell Glacier
- Russell G. Hileman, American politician, Mayor of Michigan City, Indiana, 1950-55
- Richard L. Hileman, American Republican politician, Candidate in primary for Arizona State Senate 1st District, 1998
- John Hileman Jr., American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Pennsylvania, 1912
- Franklin L. Hileman, American Republican politician, Candidate in primary for Michigan State Senate 18th District, 1950
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-19-822525-3).
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
The Hileman Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Hileman Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 20 January 2016 at 10:10.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!