Hilditch History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
In ancient Anglo-Saxon England, the ancestors of the Hilditch surname lived in Holdich, Norfolk. This locale cannot be found today, but was listed pre 1700.
Early Origins of the Hilditch family
The surname Hilditch was first found in Devon where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Early History of the Hilditch family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hilditch research. Another 80 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1600 and 1720 are included under the topic Early Hilditch History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Hilditch Spelling Variations
It is only in the last few hundred years that the English language has been standardized. For that reason, early Anglo-Saxon surnames like Hilditch are characterized by many spelling variations. As the English language changed and incorporated elements of other European languages, even literate people changed the spelling of their names. The variations of the name Hilditch include: Holditch, Holdich, Holdrich, Holdridge, Hilditch and many more.
Early Notables of the Hilditch family (pre 1700)
Another 42 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Hilditch Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Hilditch migration to the United States +
Many English families tired of political and religious strife left Britain for the new colonies in North America. Although the trip itself offered no relief - conditions on the ships were extremely cramped, and many travelers arrived diseased, starving, and destitute - these immigrants believed the opportunities that awaited them were worth the risks. Once in the colonies, many of the families did indeed prosper and, in turn, made significant contributions to the culture and economies of the growing colonies. An inquiry into the early roots of North American families has revealed a number of immigrants bearing the name Hilditch or a variant listed above:
Hilditch Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Thomas Hilditch, who landed in America in 1760-1763 
Contemporary Notables of the name Hilditch (post 1700) +
- E. L. Hilditch, American politician, Candidate for Connecticut State House of Representatives from Enfield, 1912 
- Sir Edward Hilditch (1805-1876), English Inspector-General of Hospitals who studied medicine at St. George's Hospital, took his diploma in 1826, and at once entered the naval medical service 
- Thomas Arthur Hilditch (1885-1957), English cricketer who played from 1910 to 1913
- George Clarence "Lal" Hilditch (1894-1977), English footballer who played from the early 1900s through 1932
- Stephen Hilditch (b. 1946), Irish international rugby referee
- Ron Hilditch, Australian former professional rugby league footballer and coach
- Andrew Mark Jefferson Hilditch (b. 1956), former Australian cricketer
- Jacob Hilditch (1864-1930), Norwegian writer
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, January 20) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
- ^ Wikisource contributors. "Dictionary of National Biography, 1885-1900." Wikisource . Wikisource , 4 Jun. 2018. Web. 30 June 2020