name Hightower comes from when the family resided in or near the settlement of Heighton in the county of Sussex
. The surname is thought to derive from one of several place names composed of the old English elements "heah" or "high" and "tun," meaning "enclosure or settlement." The surname Hightower belongs to the large category of Anglo-Saxon habitation
names, which are derived from pre-existing names for towns, villages, parishes, or farmsteads.
Early Origins of the Hightower family
The surname Hightower was first found in Sussex
where the first record of the name is John atte
Heghetun who was mentioned in the Subsidy Rolls
in 1296. Today Hightown is a village and civil parish in the Metropolitan Borough of Sefton in Merseyside but originally part of Cheshire
Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
However, other references list Hightown in what was formerly Lancashire
. "The Huytons of Billinge held land [in Skelmersdale, Lancashire] as early as 1307." CITATION[CLOSE]
'Townships: Scarisbrick', in A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 3, ed. William Farrer and J Brownbill (London, 1907), pp. 265-276. British History Online http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/lancs/vol3/pp265-276 [accessed 21 January 2017].
Early History of the Hightower family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hightower research.Another 100 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1296, 1273 and 1279 are included under the topic Early Hightower History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Hightower Spelling Variations
The English language only became standardized in the last few centuries; therefore, spelling variations
are common among early Anglo-Saxon
names. As the form of the English language changed, even the spelling of literate people's names evolved. Hightower has been recorded under many different variations, including Heighton, Highton, Huyton and others.
Early Notables of the Hightower family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Hightower Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Hightower family to the New World and Oceana
For many English families, the political and religious disarray that shrouded England
made the far away New World an attractive prospect. On cramped disease-ridden ships, thousands migrated to those British colonies that would eventually become Canada and the United States. Those hardy settlers that survived the journey often went on to make important contributions to the emerging nations in which they landed. Analysis of immigration records indicates that some of the first North American immigrants bore the name Hightower or a variant listed above:
Hightower Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- William Hightower, aged 20, who immigrated to America from London, in 1899
Hightower Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Tenis B. Hightower, aged 28, who settled in America, in 1905
- Daniel Hightower, aged 34, who landed in America, in 1908
- Rose Hightower, aged 34, who immigrated to the United States, in 1908
- George R. Hightower, who settled in America, in 1911
- Wilbur Hightower, aged 25, who landed in America, in 1918
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Hightower (post 1700)
- Stephanie Hightower (b. 1958), the current American president of USA Track & Field
- Cory Hightower (b. 1979), American professional basketball player
- Wayne A. Hightower (1940-2002), American basketball player
- Grace Hightower (b. 1955), American philanthropist, actress and singer
- Allison Hightower (b. 1988), American professional basketball player
- Donna Lubertha Hightower (1926-2013), American R&B, soul and jazz singer
- Alma Julia Hightower, African American vocalist, musician and music teacher
- Richie Hightower (b. 1982), American mixed martial artist
- Scott Hightower (b. 1952), American poet and teacher
- Rosetta Hightower (b. 1944), American singer
- ... (Another 21 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Hightower Family Crest Products
- ^ Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
- ^ 'Townships: Scarisbrick', in A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 3, ed. William Farrer and J Brownbill (London, 1907), pp. 265-276. British History Online http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/lancs/vol3/pp265-276 [accessed 21 January 2017].