on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Higginbottom is a name of ancient Anglo-Saxon
origin and comes from the family once having lived at Higginbottom in the county of Cheshire.
The surname Higginbottom was first found in Cheshire
where they held a family seat
from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest
and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Sound was what guided spelling in the essentially pre-literate Middle Ages, so one person's name was often recorded under several variations during a single lifetime. Also, before the advent of the printing press and the first dictionaries, the English language was not standardized. Therefore, spelling variations were common, even among the names of the most literate people. Known variations of the Higginbottom family name include Higginbottom, Higginbotham, Hickenbottom, Hickinbottom, Higgenbottom, Higginbothem, Higinbotham, Higinbothem and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Higginbottom research. Another 233 words (17 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Higginbottom History in all our PDF Extended History products
More information is included under the topic Early Higginbottom Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
For political, religious, and economic reasons, thousands of English families boarded ships for Ireland
, Canada, the America colonies, and many of smaller tropical colonies in the hope of finding better lives abroad. Although the passage on the cramped, dank ships caused many to arrive in the New World diseased and starving, those families that survived the trip often went on to make valuable contributions to those new societies to which they arrived. Early immigrants bearing the Higginbottom surname or a spelling variation of the name include:
Higginbottom Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Wm Higginbottom, who landed in Virginia in 1657
Higginbottom Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Richard Higginbottom settled in Virginia in 1726
- Thomas Higginbottom settled in New England in 1774
Higginbottom Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- William Higginbottom, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1871
Higginbottom Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- James Higginbottom, aged 23, a labourer, arrived in Saint John, NB aboard the ship "Madawaska" in 1833
- Robert Higginbottom, aged 22, a labourer, arrived in Saint John, NB aboard the ship "Madawaska" in 1833
- Catherine Higginbottom, aged 22, arrived in Saint John, NB aboard the ship "Madawaska" in 1833
- Heather A. Higginbottom (b. 1972), American politician, Deputy Director of the federal Office of Management and Budget (2011)
- Frank William Higginbottom (1912-1981), American politician, Mayor of Winfield, Kansas, 1957-58
- David B. Higginbottom, American Democrat politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Florida 10th District, 1986, 1988
- Clarence Charles Higginbottom (1897-1977), American politician, Mayor of Winfield, Kansas, 1947
- Miss Mary Polly Higginbottom (d. 1915), English 2nd Class passenger residing in Fall River, Massachusetts, USA, who sailed aboard the RMS Lusitania and died in the sinking
- Sam Higginbottom (1874-1958), English-born Christian missionary in Allahabad, India
- Edward Higginbottom, English Conductor of the Choir of New College Oxford
- Mr. Ernest Higginbottom (d. 1941), British Stoker 2ne Class, who sailed into battle on the HMS Repulse and died during the sinking
- Jake Higginbottom, Australian golfer, winner of the Riversdale Cup (2012)
- Frederick James Higginbottom (1859-1943), British journalist and newspaper editor
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of England and Wales. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1971. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Elster, Robert J. International Who's Who. London: Europa/Routledge. Print.
The Higginbottom Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Higginbottom Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 23 March 2016 at 13:45.
on orders of $85 or more