on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Where did the English Hickerson family come from? What is the English Hickerson family crest and coat of arms? When did the Hickerson family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Hickerson family history?Of all the Anglo-Saxon names to come from Britain, Hickerson is one of the most ancient. The name is a result of the original family having lived in Huntingdonshire. The name could also have been a baptismal name derived as the son of Richard.
The first dictionaries that appeared in the last few hundred years did much to standardize the English language. Before that time, spelling variations in names were a common occurrence. The language was changing, incorporating pieces of other languages, and the spelling of names changed with it. Hickerson has been spelled many different ways, including Hicock, Hichcoke, Hickox, Hickhock, Hickhocke and many more.
First found in Gloucestershire where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hickerson research. Another 286 words (20 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Hickerson History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Hickerson Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Thousands of English families in this era began to emigrate the New World in search of land and freedom from religious and political persecution. Although the passage was expensive and the ships were dark, crowded, and unsafe, those who made the voyage safely were rewarded with opportunities unavailable to them in their homeland. Research into passenger and immigration lists has revealed some of the very first Hickersons to arrive in North America:
Hickerson Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- L. Hickerson, aged 20, who settled in America, in 1907
- Malva Hickerson, aged 35, who landed in America, in 1910
- W. Hickerson, aged 27, who settled in America, in 1920
- Walter Hickerson, aged 25, who emigrated to the United States, in 1920
- Harry Hickerson, aged 28, who emigrated to America, in 1920
- John Dewey Hickerson (1898-1989), American diplomat, United States Ambassador to Finland (1955) and United States Ambassador to the Philippines (1960 to 1961)
- Joe Hickerson (b. 1935), American noted folk singer and songleader
- Robert Gene Hickerson (1935-2008), former American Football offensive guard, inductee to the Pro Football Hall of Fame (2007)
- Bryan Hickerson (b. 1963), American former Major League Baseball player
- Mary P. Hickerson (b. 1951), American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Arkansas, 2004, 2008
- Marcus Hickerson, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from California, 1964
- John Dewey Hickerson (1898-1989), American politician, U.S. Ambassador to Finland, 1955-59; Philippines, 1959-61
- Harold Hickerson, American politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from New York 15th District, 1936
- Carl Hickerson, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Arizona, 1952
- Ingram, Rev. James. Translator Anglo-Saxon Chronicle 1823. Print.
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Humble, Richard. The Fall of Saxon England. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-88029-987-8).
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1790. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
The Hickerson Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Hickerson Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 12 January 2016 at 13:43.
on orders of $85 or more