names to come from Britain, Hickerson is one of the most ancient. The name is a result of the original family having lived in Huntingdonshire. The name could also have been a baptismal name derived as
and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hickerson research.Another 59 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Hickerson History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
The first dictionaries that appeared in the last few hundred
years did much to standardize the English language. Before that time, spelling variations
in names were a common occurrence. The language was changing, incorporating pieces of other languages, and the spelling of names changed with it. Hickerson has been spelled many different ways, including Hicock, Hichcoke, Hickox, Hickhock, Hickhocke and many more.
Thousands of English families in this era began to emigrate the New World in search of land and freedom from religious and political persecution. Although the passage was expensive and the ships were dark, crowded, and unsafe, those who made the voyage safely were rewarded with opportunities unavailable to them in their homeland. Research into passenger and immigration lists has revealed some of the very first Hickersons to arrive in North America:
Hickerson Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- L. Hickerson, aged 20, who settled in America, in 1907
- Malva Hickerson, aged 35, who landed in America, in 1910
- W. Hickerson, aged 27, who settled in America, in 1920
- Walter Hickerson, aged 25, who emigrated to the United States, in 1920
- Harry Hickerson, aged 28, who emigrated to America, in 1920
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)