Hickerson History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Of all the Anglo-Saxon names to come from Britain, Hickerson is one of the most ancient. The name is a result of the original family having lived in Huntingdonshire. The name could also have been a baptismal name derived as the son of Richard.
Early Origins of the Hickerson family
The surname Hickerson was first found in Gloucestershire where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Early History of the Hickerson family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hickerson research. Another 59 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Hickerson History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Hickerson Spelling Variations
The first dictionaries that appeared in the last few hundred years did much to standardize the English language. Before that time, spelling variations in names were a common occurrence. The language was changing, incorporating pieces of other languages, and the spelling of names changed with it. Hickerson has been spelled many different ways, including Hicock, Hichcoke, Hickox, Hickhock, Hickhocke and many more.
Early Notables of the Hickerson family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Hickerson Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Hickerson is the 5,446th most popular surname with an estimated 4,974 people with that name. 
Hickerson migration to the United States +
Thousands of English families in this era began to emigrate the New World in search of land and freedom from religious and political persecution. Although the passage was expensive and the ships were dark, crowded, and unsafe, those who made the voyage safely were rewarded with opportunities unavailable to them in their homeland. Research into passenger and immigration lists has revealed some of the very first Hickersons to arrive in North America:
Hickerson Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- L. Hickerson, aged 20, who settled in America, in 1907
- Malva Hickerson, aged 35, who landed in America, in 1910
- W. Hickerson, aged 27, who settled in America, in 1920
- Walter Hickerson, aged 25, who immigrated to the United States, in 1920
- Harry Hickerson, aged 28, who immigrated to America, in 1920
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Hickerson (post 1700) +
- John Dewey Hickerson (1898-1989), American diplomat, United States Ambassador to Finland (1955) and United States Ambassador to the Philippines (1960 to 1961)
- Joe Hickerson (b. 1935), American noted folk singer and songleader
- Robert Gene Hickerson (1935-2008), former American Football offensive guard, inductee to the Pro Football Hall of Fame (2007)
- Bryan Hickerson (b. 1963), American former Major League Baseball player
- Mary P. Hickerson (b. 1951), American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Arkansas, 2004, 2008 
- Marcus Hickerson, American Democratic Party politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from California, 1964 
- John Dewey Hickerson (1898-1989), American politician, U.S. Ambassador to Finland, 1955-59; Philippines, 1959-61 
- Harold Hickerson, American politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from New York 15th District, 1936 
- Carl Hickerson, American Democratic Party politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Arizona, 1952 
Related Stories +