Hewling History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The origins of the name Hewling are with the Anglo-Saxon tribes of Britain. The name is derived from the baptismal name Hugh. As the naming tradition grew in Europe baptismal names began to be introduced in many countries. Baptismal names were sometimes given in honor of Christian saints and other biblical figures. There are very few Christian countries in Europe that did not adopt surnames from these religious figures.
Early Origins of the Hewling family
The surname Hewling was first found in at the court of Edward the Confessor (1042-1066,) where Hugolin was Chamberlain to the King.
Early History of the Hewling family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hewling research. Another 124 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1087, 1100, 1169, 1273, 1273, 1379 and 1627 are included under the topic Early Hewling History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Hewling Spelling Variations
The first dictionaries that appeared in the last few hundred years did much to standardize the English language. Before that time, spelling variations in names were a common occurrence. The language was changing, incorporating pieces of other languages, and the spelling of names changed with it. Hewling has been spelled many different ways, including Hewlin, Hewlings, Hughling, Hughlings, Hullin, Hueline, Hugelin and many more.
Early Notables of the Hewling family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Hewling Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Hewling migration to the United States +
Thousands of English families in this era began to emigrate the New World in search of land and freedom from religious and political persecution. Although the passage was expensive and the ships were dark, crowded, and unsafe, those who made the voyage safely were rewarded with opportunities unavailable to them in their homeland. Research into passenger and immigration lists has revealed some of the very first Hewlings to arrive in North America:
Hewling Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Benjamin Hewling, who sailed to New Jersey in 1677
- Benjamin Hewling, who arrived in New Jersey in 1677 
Hewling Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- E K Hewling, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850 
Contemporary Notables of the name Hewling (post 1700) +
- A. Hewling, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Florida, 1868 
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, January 12) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html