The Irish name Herrity was originally written in a Gaelic form as Mag Oireachtaigh, which is derived from the word "oireachtach," referring to a member of an assembly. Translating the name into English produces no less than seventeen different synonyms. But the origin of the name is most intriguing. In the 12th century, the name was simply O Roduibh but a Oireachtach O Roduibh at that time caused the name to be shortened to Oireachtach, their present form.
Early Origins of the Herrity family
The surname Herrity was first found in counties Roscommon
(Irish: Gaillimh) part of the province of Connacht
, located on the west coast of the Island, where they were one of the Hi Maine Septs in Kelly's country. They were direct descendants of the O'Connors, Kings of Connacht, and the Chief of the Clann was one of the four royal chiefs under the O'Connor. The tree on the Coat of Arms illustrates their descendancy from the O'Connors.
Early History of the Herrity family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Herrity research.Another 78 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1300, 1585, 1744 and 1598 are included under the topic Early Herrity History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Herrity Spelling Variations
Irish names were rarely spelled consistently in the Middle Ages. Spelling variations
of the name Herrity dating from that time include Gerrity, Gerty, Gerighty, Gerighaty, Gerety, Gerahty, Garraty, Geraty, Jerety, McGerity, MacGeraghty, MacGartie, MacGarty and many more.
Early Notables of the Herrity family (pre 1700)
Another 29 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Herrity Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Herrity family to the New World and Oceana
Thousands of Irish families
left for North American shores in the 19th century. These people were searching for a life unencumbered with poverty, hunger, and racial discrimination. Many arrived to eventually find such conditions, but many others simply did not arrive: victims of the diseased, overcrowded ships in which they traveled to the New World. Those who lived to see North American shores were instrumental in the development of the growing nations of Canada and the United States. A thorough examination of passenger and immigration lists has disclosed evidence of many early immigrants of the name Herrity:
Herrity Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Bridget Herrity, aged 21, who emigrated to the United States from Corssmaglen, Ireland, in 1912
- Maggie Herrity, aged 18, who landed in America from Downings, Ireland, in 1913
- Mary Herrity, aged 26, who settled in America from Falcarragh, Ireland, in 1914
- Andrew Herrity, aged 22, who settled in America from Downings, Ireland, in 1914
- Cassie Herrity, aged 20, who landed in America from Downings, Ireland, in 1914
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Herrity (post 1700)
- John F. "Jack" Herrity (1931-2006), American politician from Fairfax County, Virginia, Chairman of the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors from 1976
- Redmond Herrity, Irish sculptor from Letterkenny, County Donegal
Herrity Family Crest Products