100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
name Herndon comes from the family having resided in the village of Harrowden in Northamptonshire and Bedfordshire.
The surname Herndon was first found in Bedfordshire
(Old English: Bedanfordscir), located in Southeast-central England
, formerly part of the Anglo-Saxon
kingdom of Mercia, where they held a family seat
from ancient times. Harrowden is a one-street hamlet in Bedfordshire
. Great Harrowden and Little Harrowden are parishes and villages in Northamptonshire that date back to the Domesday Book
of 1086 where collectively they were known as Hargedone. 
The place name literally means "hill of the heathen shrines or temples," from the Old English words "hearg" + "dun." 
Ironically "Little" Harrowden has more inhabitants that "Great" Harroweden and that has been the case for more than 100 years. In the 15th century the manors of Great and Little Harrowden were held by Sir William Vaux who was slain at the Battle of Tewkesbury in 1471. Great Harrowden Hall was built between 1716 and 1719. The All Saints Church dates back to Norman times and is famous for its medieval Doom (painting.) There is also a brass to William Harrowden from the 16th century located there.
Herndon has been spelled many different ways, including Before English spelling became standardized over the last few hundred years, spelling variations in names were a common occurrence. As the English language changed in the Middle Ages, absorbing pieces of Latin and French, as well as other languages, the spelling of people's names also changed considerably, even over a single lifetime. Harraden, Harradine, Haridine, Harridine, Horoden, Harnden, Herndon and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Herndon research. Another 117 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1086 and 1756 are included under the topic Early Herndon History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 31 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Herndon Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
In an attempt to escape the chaos experienced in England, many English families boarded overcrowded and diseased ships sailing for the shores of North America and other British colonies. Those families hardy enough, and lucky enough, to make the passage intact were rewarded with land and a social environment less prone to religious and political persecution. Many of these families became important contributors to the young colonies in which they settled. Early immigration and passenger lists have documented some of the first Herndons to arrive on North American shores:
Herndon Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- William Herndon, who landed in Virginia in 1673-1674
Herndon Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- William L Herndon, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1850
- Mrs. Herndon, aged 50, who emigrated to the United States, in 1896
- Parker Herndon, aged 22, who settled in America, in 1896
- Cumb. G. Herndon, aged 46, who settled in America from Liverpool, in 1897
Herndon Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Richard T. Herndon, aged 19, who landed in America, in 1909
- Hunter Herndon, aged 8, who emigrated to the United States, in 1909
- Maude Herndon, aged 25, who landed in America, in 1910
- Robert Joseph Herndon, aged 52, who emigrated to the United States, in 1910
- Edward L. Herndon, aged 47, who emigrated to the United States, in 1911
- Harry Francis "Junior" Herndon (b. 1978), American Major League Baseball pitcher for the San Diego Padres in 2001
- Larry Darnell Herndon (b. 1953), American Major League Baseball player who played from 1974 through 1988, recipient of the 1981 Willie Mac Award
- Raymon W. Herndon (1918-1942), United States Marine, posthumous recipient of the Navy Cross
- Susan Herndon, American singer-songwriter from Tulsa, Oklahoma
- Kelly Errin Herndon (b. 1976), American NFL football cornerback
- J. Marvin Herndon (b. 1944), American interdisciplinary scientist who founded the georeactor theory
- Charles "Chuck" Herndon, American sculptor
- Alonzo Franklin Herndon (1858-1927), African-American businessman, founder and president of the Atlanta Family Life Insurance Company
- Agnes Herndon, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Missouri, 1924
- Charles Herndon (b. 1966), American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Idaho, 1952
- Collection of Facts and Recollections of the Descent Lines and the Relationships Among Some Descendants of-William Herndon of England and New Kent County, Virginia by Grace Yager Froom.
- The Herndon and Inge Family: Genealogical, Historical, Biographical by George B. Inge.
- ^ Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds., Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8)
- ^ Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Cook, Chris. English Historical Facts 1603-1688. London: MacMillan, 1980. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
The Herndon Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Herndon Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 19 May 2016 at 14:00.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!