Early Origins of the Herkes family
The surname Herkes was first found in Berwickshire
where they held a family seat
in the lands of Hardcarse in the parish of Fogo in that shire. The first on record was Adam Harcarse who was Abbott of Newbattle Abbey, and later in 1219 became Abbott of Melrose Abbey.
Early History of the Herkes family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Herkes research.Another 96 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1254, 1296, 1306, 1325, and 1539 are included under the topic Early Herkes History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Herkes Spelling Variations
Although the name, Herkes, appeared in many references, from time to time, the surname was shown with the spellings Harecars, Harecarse, Harcars, Harcarse, Harkess, Harcors, Harcorse, Harcourse, Harkars, Harcus, Harkass, Harcas, Harkes, Harks, Harcase, Arcas, Arcus and many more.
Early Notables of the Herkes family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Herkes Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Herkes family to the New World and Oceana
Gradually becoming disenchanted with life in Ireland
many of these uprooted families sailed aboard the armada of sailing ships known as the "White Sails" which plied the stormy Atlantic. These overcrowded ships often arrived with only 60 to 70% of their original passenger list, many dying of cholera, typhoid, dysentery or small pox. In North America, some of the first immigrants who could be considered kinsmen of the Herkes family name Herkes, or who bore a variation of the surname were
Herkes Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- John Herkes, aged 29, who landed in America, in 1905
- Joseph Herkes, aged 35, who emigrated to the United States from Edinburgh, Scotland, in 1913
- Siedo Herkes, aged 29, who landed in America from Rysum, Germany, in 1913
- Corardus C. P. Herkes, aged 23, who emigrated to America, in 1921
Herkes Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Peter Herkes, aged 23, a farm labourer, who arrived in South Australia in 1858 aboard the ship "Melbourne"
Contemporary Notables of the name Herkes (post 1700)
Historic Events for the Herkes family
- Mr. James Herkes, British Marine, who sailed into battle on the HMS Repulse and died in the sinking CITATION[CLOSE]
HMS Repulse Crew members. (Retrieved 2014, April 9) . Retrieved from http://www.forcez-survivors.org.uk/biographies/listrepulsecrew.html
Herkes Family Crest Products
- ^ HMS Repulse Crew members. (Retrieved 2014, April 9) . Retrieved from http://www.forcez-survivors.org.uk/biographies/listrepulsecrew.html