Heriot History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Early Origins of the Heriot family
The surname Heriot was first found in Midlothian
where they held a family seat
from early times and held the lands of Heriot, and were found there as early as 1164, when Henry of Heriot witnessed a document by Joceline, the Bishop of Glasgow.
Early History of the Heriot family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Heriot research.Another 251 words (18 lines of text) covering the years 1221, 1424, 1450, 1537, 1563, 1624, 1759, and 1839 are included under the topic Early Heriot History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Heriot Spelling Variations
During the era when a person's name, tribe and posterity was one of his most important possessions, many different spellings were found in the archives examined. Heriot occurred in many references, and spelling variations
of the name found included Herriot, Heriot, Harriet, Hariet, Herriott, Harriott and many more.
Early Notables of the Heriot family (pre 1700)
Another 34 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Heriot Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Heriot family to the New World and Oceana
Gradually becoming disenchanted with life in Ireland
many of these uprooted families sailed aboard the armada of sailing ships known as the "White Sails" which plied the stormy Atlantic. These overcrowded ships often arrived with only 60 to 70% of their original passenger list, many dying of illness and the elements, were buried at sea. In North America, early immigrants bearing the family name Heriot, or a spelling variation of the surname include: Mr. Harriet who settled in Charles Town [Charleston], South Carolina in 1820; Roger Harriet settled in South Carolina in 1822; Andreas Herriot who settled in Maryland in 1743.
Contemporary Notables of the name Heriot (post 1700)
- Nicole Heriot, American stage actress, singer, and dancer CITATION[CLOSE]
Nicole Heriot. (Retrieved 2010, September 27) Nicole Heriot. Retrieved from http://www.nicoleheriot.com/
- Edward Thomas Heriot (1793-1854), prominent South Carolina planter and physician
- Corporal James Davidson Heriot (1890-1918), United States Army soldier who received the Medal of Honor for his actions during World War I
- Joan E. Heriot (b. 1911), Canadian scientist and artist
- Jas Heriot Duke (1939-1992), Australian performance poet
- Heriot Clarkson (1863-1942), American Democrat politician, Member of North Carolina State House of Representatives, 1899; Justice of North Carolina State Supreme Court, 1923-40 CITATION[CLOSE]
The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, January 29) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
Heriot Family Crest Products
- ^ Nicole Heriot. (Retrieved 2010, September 27) Nicole Heriot. Retrieved from http://www.nicoleheriot.com/
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, January 29) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html