on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: French-Alt, French
Where did the French Hebert family come from? What is the French Hebert family crest and coat of arms? When did the Hebert family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Hebert family history?The surname Hebert comes ultimately from a Germanic personal (first) name, composed of the elements "hari," meaning "army" and "behrt," meaning "illustrious." Saint Haribert was the archbishop of Cologne circa. 1000, and versions of Hebert became a popular given name amongst the French nobility.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Hebert, Harbert, Herbert, Herbot, Harbelot and others.
First found in Normandy (French: Normandie), the former Duchy of Normandy, where Hebert families were the Lords (seigneurs) of Plaigniere and of Beauvoir. This branch of the family came from England in the 15th century and were given these lands by King Richard of England. It it thought that other branches no doubt pre-dated the Hebert family that came from England.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hebert research. Another 123 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1548, 1666, 1575, 1627, 1604 and 1725 are included under the topic Early Hebert History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 177 words (13 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Hebert Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Hebert Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Magloire Hebert, who arrived in Massachusetts in 1755-1768
- Olivier Hebert, who arrived in Massachusetts in 1755-1768
- Augustin Hebert, who arrived in Massachusetts in 1756
- Jacques Hebert, who arrived in Massachusetts in 1762
- Jean Baptiste Hebert, who landed in Annapolis, Maryland in 1763
Hebert Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- John B Hebert, who landed in New York in 1822
- William Hebert, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1831
Hebert Settlers in Canada in the 17th Century
- Louis Hebert, who landed in Quebec in 1627
- Leger Hebert, who arrived in Montreal in 1650
Hebert Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Josette Hebert, aged 25, landed in St Pierre and Miquelon in 1767
Hebert Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Frederick Hebert arrived in Phillip aboard the ship "Samuel Boddington" in 1850
- Dennis Paul Hebert Sr., (1926-2015), American politician, Louisiana State Representative for District 73 (1972-1996)
- Paul Octave Hébert (1818-1880), American politician and brigadier general in the Confederate States Army, the 14th Governor of Louisiana (1853 to 1856)
- Paul Macarius Hebert (1907-1977), American judge at the Nuremberg Tribunals
- Kyries Hebert (b. 1980), American CFL safety/linebacker for the Montreal Alouettes
- Lionel P. Hebert (1928-2000), American five-time PGA winning golfer
- Chris Hebert (b. 1973), American former child actor
- Paul Octave Hébert (1818-1880), American soldier and politician who fought during the Mexican War, was the Governor of Louisiana (1853-56) and was a general in the Confederate Army during the Civil War
- Felix Hébert (1874-1969), born near St. Hyacinthe, Quebec of American parents, he became a U.S. Senator from Rhode Island (1929-35)
- Bobby Joseph Hebert (b. 1960), American sportscaster, retired Pro bowl American football quarterback of the New Orleans Saints
- Antoine Auguste Ernest Hébert (1817-1908), French portrait painter and academic
- Conrad, Glenn R. The First Families of Louisiana. Baton Rouge LA: Claitor's Publishing, 1970. Print.
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1978. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- D'Hozier Charles. Armorial Général de France. Paris: Dillon, 1875. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Annuaire Général Héraldique Universel. Paris: Institut Héraldique, 1901. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
The Hebert Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Hebert Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 18 October 2015 at 23:23.
on orders of $85 or more