The Irish surnames in use today are underpinned by a multitude of rich histories. The name Heagney originally appeared in Gaelic as O hEighnigh.
Early Origins of the Heagney family
The surname Heagney was first found in County Londonderry
(Irish: Doire), a Northern Irish county also known as Derry, in the province of Ulster
, where they held a family seat
from ancient times.
Early History of the Heagney family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Heagney research.Another 225 words (16 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Heagney History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Heagney Spelling Variations
Individual scribes in the Ireland
during the Middle Ages would often record a person's name various ways. How the name was recorded depended on what that particular scribe believed the proper spelling for the name pronounced to him was. Spelling variations
revealed in the search for the origin of the Heagney family name include Heaney, Heany, Hegney, Hegeany, Heagney, Heeney and others.
Early Notables of the Heagney family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Heagney Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Heagney family to the New World and Oceana
began to immigrate to British North America and the United States in the 18th century, but the greatest influx of Irish immigrants came during the Great Potato Famine
of the late 1840s. The earlier settlers came to North America after a great deal of consideration and by paying relatively high fees for their passage. These settlers were primarily drawn by the promise of land. Those later settlers that came during the 1840's were trying to escape the conditions of poverty, starvation, disease, and death that had stricken Ireland
. Due to the enormity of their numbers and the late date of their arrival, these immigrants primarily became hired laborers instead of homesteading settlers like their predecessors. An exhaustive search of immigration and passenger lists has revealed many Irish immigrants North America bearing the name Heagney:
Heagney Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Bridgt Heagney, aged 22, who emigrated to the United States from Tyrone, in 1893
Heagney Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Winnefred Heagney, aged 20, who emigrated to the United States from Portumna, in 1901
- Alice Heagney, aged 23, who settled in America from Greencastle, Ireland, in 1909
- Mary Heagney, aged 24, who emigrated to the United States from Limerick, Ireland, in 1911
- Peter Heagney, aged 24, who settled in America from Glenhull, Ireland, in 1911
- Michael Heagney, aged 22, who landed in America from Limerick, Ireland, in 1912
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Heagney (post 1700)
- Robert W. Heagney, American politician, former member of the Connecticut House of Representatives
- Denis "Dinny" Heagney (1898-1942), Australian rules footballer