Hatry History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Hatry family
The surname Hatry was first found in Cambridgeshire where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The family name was first referenced in the year 1272 when Thomas Attree held estates in that shire. But many of the family were also found in Sussex. The name is derived from the expression "At-the-Tree." 
Important Dates for the Hatry family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hatry research. Another 87 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1455 and 1487 are included under the topic Early Hatry History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Hatry Spelling Variations
The English language only became standardized in the last few centuries; therefore, spelling variations are common among early Anglo-Saxon names. As the form of the English language changed, even the spelling of literate people's names evolved. Hatry has been recorded under many different variations, including Attree, Attry, Attrie, Attry, Atree, Atry, Atrye, Attrye, Hattry, Hatry and many more.
Early Notables of the Hatry family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Hatry Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Hatry migration to the United States
For many English families, the political and religious disarray that shrouded England made the far away New World an attractive prospect. On cramped disease-ridden ships, thousands migrated to those British colonies that would eventually become Canada and the United States. Those hardy settlers that survived the journey often went on to make important contributions to the emerging nations in which they landed. Analysis of immigration records indicates that some of the first North American immigrants bore the name Hatry or a variant listed above:
Hatry Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- August Hatry, who was naturalized in Mississippi in 1879
- Julius Hatry, who was naturalized in Indiana between 1882 and 1886
Contemporary Notables of the name Hatry (post 1700)
- Jacques Maurice Hatry, French Divisional General during the French Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars from 1789 to 1815 
- ^ Lowe, Mark Anthony, Patronymica Britannica, A Dictionary of Family Names of the United Kingdom. London: John Russel Smith, 1860. Print.
- ^ Generals Who Served in the French Army during the Period 1789-1815. (Retrieved 2015, March 9) Jacques Hatry. Retrieved from http://www.napoleon-series.org/research/c_frenchgenerals.html