Hateley History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Hateley family
The surname Hateley was first found in Cambridgeshire, where they held a family seat at Hatley Park. They were conjecturally descended from Roger, a Norman noble, who, at the time of the taking of the Domesday Book survey in 1086, held his Lordship from the Count Alan, and also held Lordships in Ayslesbury in Buckingham, St. Edes in Huntingdon, and Coxton in Cambridgeshire. They joined the train of King David of Scotland in 1124 and were granted lands in Berwickshire and became a prominent Border Clan defending the eastern marches. Sir Robert Hattely and his wife Matilda held a family seat at Mellerston about 1180, and his son William and his wife Emma were granted right of way over the bridge which he built over the River Blackburn.
Early History of the Hateley family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hateley research. Another 133 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1270, 1296, 1335, 1412, 1475, 1568, and 1603 are included under the topic Early Hateley History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Hateley Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Hately, Haitlie, Haitely, Haiteley, Hetlye, Haytely, Haightly, Haightley, Hatley, Hatly, Hately and many more.
Early Notables of the Hateley family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Hateley Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Hateley migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Hateley Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Thomas Hateley, who arrived in Maryland in 1682 
Hateley Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Walter C. Hateley, aged 40, who landed in America from London, in 1892
Hateley Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Martha Hateley, aged 38, who landed in America, in 1905
- Ethel E. Hateley, aged 30, who landed in America, in 1905
- James M. Hateley, aged 54, who immigrated to the United States from Langley Geers, England, in 1907
- John Hateley, aged 20, who settled in America from Wallbrook, England, in 1910
- Annie Hateley, aged 49, who landed in America from Dudley, England, in 1910
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Hateley (post 1700) +
- Mary Hateley, American Republican politician, Postmaster at Follansbee, West Virginia, 1905-13 
- A.J. Hateley (b. 1987), English artist and illustrator
- Linzi Hateley (b. 1970), English stage actress
- Tony Hateley (b. 1941), English former footballer
- Tom Hateley (b. 1989), English footballer
- Mark Wayne Hateley (b. 1961), retired English football player
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, February 3) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html