The name Hartshurn has a long Anglo-Saxon
heritage. The name comes from when a family lived in the parish of Hartshorne, in the diocese of Lichfield and the county of Derbyshire.
Early Origins of the Hartshurn family
The surname Hartshurn was first found in Derbyshire
, where they held a family seat
from ancient times and were a distinguished Midlands family.
Early History of the Hartshurn family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hartshurn research.Another 101 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 108 and 1086 are included under the topic Early Hartshurn History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Hartshurn Spelling Variations
in names were a common occurrence before English spelling was standardized a few hundred
years ago. In the Middle Ages, even the literate spelled their names differently as the English language incorporated elements of French, Latin, and other European languages. Many variations of the name Hartshurn have been found, including Hartshorn, Hartshorne, Hertshorne, Hertshorn and many more.
Early Notables of the Hartshurn family (pre 1700)
Another 22 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Hartshurn Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Hartshurn family to the New World and Oceana
Families began migrating abroad in enormous numbers because of the political and religious discontent in England
. Often faced with persecution and starvation in England
, the possibilities of the New World attracted many English people. Although the ocean trips took many lives, those who did get to North America were instrumental in building the necessary groundwork for what would become for new powerful nations. Some of the first immigrants to cross the Atlantic and come to North America bore the name Hartshurn, or a variant listed above: Susannah Hartshorn, who sailed to America in 1744; Dr. Hartshorne, who came to Boston, Massachusetts in 1764; Mary Hartshorne, who came to Pennsylvania in 1771.