Origins Available: English
Early Origins of the Harkeind family
The surname Harkeind was first found in Norfolk
where they held a family seat
from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest
and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Early History of the Harkeind family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Harkeind research.Another 247 words (18 lines of text) covering the years 1175, 1327, 1379 and are included under the topic Early Harkeind History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Harkeind Spelling Variations
The first dictionaries that appeared in the last few hundred
years did much to standardize the English language. Before that time, spelling variations
in names were a common occurrence. The language was changing, incorporating pieces of other languages, and the spelling of names changed with it. Harkeind has been spelled many different ways, including Harkin, Harken, Harkins, Hacon, Hakon, Haken and many more.
Early Notables of the Harkeind family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Harkeind Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Harkeind family to Ireland
Some of the Harkeind family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.Another 153 words (11 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Harkeind family to the New World and Oceana
Thousands of English families in this era began to emigrate the New World in search of land and freedom from religious and political persecution. Although the passage was expensive and the ships were dark, crowded, and unsafe, those who made the voyage safely were rewarded with opportunities unavailable to them in their homeland. Research into passenger and immigration lists has revealed some of the very first Harkeinds to arrive in North America: Ann Harkin, who arrived in St. John, New Brunswick in 1833.