Hardaway History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Hardaway family
The surname Hardaway was first found in Cheshire where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the 13th century when they held estates in that shire.
Early History of the Hardaway family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hardaway research. Another 129 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1455, 1487, 1510, and 1600 are included under the topic Early Hardaway History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Hardaway Spelling Variations
Until quite recently, the English language has lacked a definite system of spelling rules. Consequently, Anglo-Saxon surnames are characterized by a multitude of spelling variations. Changes in Anglo-Saxon names were influenced by the evolution of the English language, as it incorporated elements of French, Latin, and other languages. Although Medieval scribes and church officials recorded names as they sounded, so it is common to find one person referred to by several different spellings of his surname, even the most literate people varied the spelling of their own names. Variations of the name Hardaway include Hardware, Hardwar, Hartware, Heardware, Heartware, Hartwar, Hardear, Hardwear, Ardware and many more.
Early Notables of the Hardaway family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Hardaway Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Hardaway family
Searching for a better life, many English families migrated to British colonies. Unfortunately, the majority of them traveled under extremely harsh conditions: overcrowding on the ships caused the majority of the immigrants to arrive diseased, famished, and destitute from the long journey across the ocean. For those families that arrived safely, modest prosperity was attainable, and many went on to make invaluable contributions to the development of the cultures of the new colonies. Research into the origins of individual families in North America revealed records of the immigration of a number of people bearing the name Hardaway or a variant listed above: the name represented in many forms and recorded from the mid 17th century in the great migration from Europe. Migrants settled in the eastern seaboard from Newfoundland, to Maine, to Virginia, the Carolinas, and to the islands..
Contemporary Notables of the name Hardaway (post 1700) +
- Wilbur J. Hardaway, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Indiana, 1944, 1948 
- Lena Ann Hardaway, American Democrat politician, Chair of Sumter County Democratic Party, 2003 
- Jane Hardaway, American politician, Candidate for Tennessee public service commission, 1974 
- J. W. Hardaway, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Mississippi, 1948, 1952 (alternate) 
- Ernest Hardaway, American Republican politician, Candidate for Kentucky State House of Representatives 75th District, 1975 
- Hannah Hardaway (b. 1978), American Olympic athlete on the U.S. Ski Team
- Robert Archelaus Hardaway (1829-1899), American artillery officer in the Confederate Army of Northern Virginia during the American Civil War
- Goffrey A. "G. A." Hardaway Sr. (b. 1954), American politician, Member of the Tennessee House of Representatives (2013-)
- Timothy Duane "Tim" Hardaway Jr. (b. 1992), American professional basketball player for the Atlanta Hawks
- Benjamin Franklin Hardaway (1865-1955), American officer in the United States Army during the Spanish-American War who received the Medal of Honor for bravery
- ... (Another 6 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Related Stories +