100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
It was among those Anglo-Saxon
tribes that once ruled over Britain that the name Harbin was formed. The name was derived from the name Rabin
which are pet forms of the personal name Robert.
The name is preceded the Old English prefix har,
which means gray.
Hence, the surname Harbin literally means gray Rabin
or gray Robin.
The surname Harbin was first found in Lancashire
, where the family held a family seat
in early times.
Until the dictionary, an invention of only the last few hundred years, the English language lacked any comprehensive system of spelling rules. Consequently, spelling variations in names are frequently found in early Anglo-Saxon and later Anglo-Norman documents. One person's name was often spelled several different ways over a lifetime. The recorded variations of Harbin include Horrobin, Horrabin, Horobin, Horabin, Harrobin, Harrabin, Harobin, Harbin, Harbine, Harbyn, Harbynn, Horbyn and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Harbin research. Another 328 words (23 lines of text) covering the years 1591, 1596, 1612, 1618, 1633, 1696, 1783, and 1790 are included under the topic Early Harbin History in all our PDF Extended History products
More information is included under the topic Early Harbin Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Thousands of English families boarded ships sailing to the New World in the hope of escaping the unrest found in England
at this time. Although the search for opportunity and freedom from persecution abroad took the lives of many because of the cramped conditions and unsanitary nature of the vessels, the opportunity perceived in the growing colonies of North America beckoned. Many of the settlers who survived the journey went on to make important contributions to the transplanted cultures of their adopted countries. The Harbin were among these contributors, for they have been located in early North American records:
Harbin Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Alexander Harbin, who arrived with his wife in Barbados in 1680
Harbin Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Robert Harbin, who settled in Virginia in 1739
Harbin Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Augustus Caesar Harbin, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1749
Harbin Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Alexander Gray Harbin arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Lalla Rookh" in 1840
- Hannah Harbin arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Lalla Rookh" in 1840
- Mary Ann Harbin arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Lalla Rookh" in 1840
- Samuel Harbin arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Lalla Rookh" in 1840
- Louisa Harbin arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Lalla Rookh" in 1840
- William Harbin, American politician, Member of North Carolina House of Commons from Iredell County, 1822
- Herbert W. Harbin (b. 1905), American Democrat politician, Candidate in primary for U.S. Representative from Michigan 13th District, 1954
- Dick Harbin, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Texas, 1956
- George Harbin (1665-1744), English clergyman, a nonjuror and significant political writer
- Lionel Harbin (b. 1976), Australian professional rugby league footballer
- John Harbin (b. 1947), Australian sports coach
- Robert Harbin (1909-1978), British magician and writer noted as the inventor of a number of classic illusions
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Ingram, Rev. James. Translator Anglo-Saxon Chronicle 1823. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin . Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
The Harbin Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Harbin Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 29 January 2016 at 08:50.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!