Hanstein History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The ancestors of the bearers of the Hanstein family name are thought have lived in ancient Anglo-Saxon England. They were first found in Suffolk. The surname Hanstein belongs to the large category of Anglo-Saxon habitation names, which are derived from pre-existing names for towns, villages, parishes, or farmsteads.
Early Origins of the Hanstein family
The surname Hanstein was first found in Sussex where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Early History of the Hanstein family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hanstein research. Another 72 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 1172 and 1350 are included under the topic Early Hanstein History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Hanstein Spelling Variations
Until quite recently, the English language has lacked a definite system of spelling rules. Consequently, Anglo-Saxon surnames are characterized by a multitude of spelling variations. Changes in Anglo-Saxon names were influenced by the evolution of the English language, as it incorporated elements of French, Latin, and other languages. Although Medieval scribes and church officials recorded names as they sounded, so it is common to find one person referred to by several different spellings of his surname, even the most literate people varied the spelling of their own names. Variations of the name Hanstein include Hemstead, Hampstead, Hempstead, Hemsted and others.
Early Notables of the Hanstein family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Hanstein Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Hanstein migration to the United States +
Searching for a better life, many English families migrated to British colonies. Unfortunately, the majority of them traveled under extremely harsh conditions: overcrowding on the ships caused the majority of the immigrants to arrive diseased, famished, and destitute from the long journey across the ocean. For those families that arrived safely, modest prosperity was attainable, and many went on to make invaluable contributions to the development of the cultures of the new colonies. Research into the origins of individual families in North America revealed records of the immigration of a number of people bearing the name Hanstein or a variant listed above:
Hanstein Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Michael Hanstein, who arrived in New York, NY in 1782 
Hanstein Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Adam Hanstein, who landed in North America in 1835 
Contemporary Notables of the name Hanstein (post 1700) +
- Ronald Hanstein, American politician, Candidate for New York State Assembly 21st District, 1966 
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 30) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html