name Hanscombe comes from when the family resided in the village of Hanscombe, in the county of Bedfordshire
. The village name comes from an Old English personal name Han,
and the Old English word camp,
meaning "enclosed land."
Early Origins of the Hanscombe family
The surname Hanscombe was first found in Bedfordshire
(Old English: Bedanfordscir), located in Southeast-central England
, formerly part of the Anglo-Saxon
kingdom of Mercia, where they held a family seat
from very early times.
Early History of the Hanscombe family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hanscombe research.Another 53 words (4 lines of text) covering the years 1255 and 1634 are included under the topic Early Hanscombe History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Hanscombe Spelling Variations
Before English spelling was standardized a few hundred
years ago, spelling variations
of names were a common occurrence. Elements of Latin, French and other languages became incorporated into English through the Middle Ages, and name spellings changed even among the literate. The variations of the surname Hanscombe include Handscomb, Hanscomb, Hanscombe, Handscombe, Handcome, Hanscom, Handscom, Hanscome and many more.
Early Notables of the Hanscombe family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Hanscombe Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Hanscombe family to the New World and Oceana
A great wave of immigration to the New World was the result of the enormous political and religious disarray that struck England
at that time. Families left for the New World in extremely large numbers. The long journey was the end of many immigrants and many more arrived sick and starving. Still, those who made it were rewarded with an opportunity far greater than they had known at home in England
. These emigrant families went on to make significant contributions to these emerging colonies in which they settled. Some of the first North American settlers carried this name or one of its variants:
Hanscombe Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Thomas Hanscombe, who settled in Salem, Massachusetts in 1635
- Richard Hanscombe, who arrived in Maryland in 1671 CITATION[CLOSE]
Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
Contemporary Notables of the name Hanscombe (post 1700)
- Ken B. Hanscombe, British physician and researcher, Medical & Molecular Genetics, King's School of Medicine, King's College London
- Kristine P Hanscombe, Australian barrister
Hanscombe Family Crest Products
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)