Hankins History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The rich and ancient history of the Hankins family name dates back to the time of the Anglo-Saxon tribes of Britain. It comes from the baptismal name John, which was originally derived from the diminutive Johan-kin. As the naming tradition grew in Europe baptismal names began to be introduced in many countries. Baptismal names were sometimes given in honor of Christian saints and other biblical figures. There are very few Christian countries in Europe that did not adopt surnames from these religious figures.
Early Origins of the Hankins family
The surname Hankins was first found in Somerset, where they held a family seat from very early times.
Important Dates for the Hankins family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hankins research. Another 88 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1761 and 1602 are included under the topic Early Hankins History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Hankins Spelling Variations
Spelling variations in names were a common occurrence before English spelling was standardized a few hundred years ago. In the Middle Ages, even the literate spelled their names differently as the English language incorporated elements of French, Latin, and other European languages. Many variations of the name Hankins have been found, including Hankin, Hankins, Hanking, Hankinson, Hanken and others.
Early Notables of the Hankins family (pre 1700)
Another 33 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Hankins Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Hankins migration to the United States
Families began migrating abroad in enormous numbers because of the political and religious discontent in England. Often faced with persecution and starvation in England, the possibilities of the New World attracted many English people. Although the ocean trips took many lives, those who did get to North America were instrumental in building the necessary groundwork for what would become for new powerful nations. Among the first immigrants of the name Hankins, or a variant listed above to cross the Atlantic and come to North America were :
Typical Hankins Emigration from the United Kingdom to North America
Hankins Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Richard Hankins moved to Virginia in 1652
- Richard Hankins, who landed in Virginia in 1652 
Hankins Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Y C Hankins, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1851 
- Bessie Hankins, aged 19, who landed in America from London, in 1899
Hankins Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Ellen M. Hankins, aged 27, who landed in America from London, in 1904
- Fred Hankins, aged 21, who settled in America from Berrow, in 1904
- Alfred Thomas Hankins, aged 32, who immigrated to America from Bristol, England, in 1914
- Wallace Harry Hankins, who arrived in Alabama in 1917 
- Harvey Hankins, who settled in America, in 1919
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Hankins (post 1700)
- Abraham P. Hankins (1900-1963), American modernist painter
- Donald Wayne "Don" Hankins (1902-1963), American Major League Baseball pitcher who played for the Detroit Tigers in 1927
- James Hankins (b. 1955), American intellectual historian specializing in the Italian Renaissance
- Cecil O. Hankins (1922-2002), American basketball and football player who played from 1946 to 1948
- Johnathan "Big Hank" Hankins (b. 1992), American NFL football defensive tackle for the New York Giants
- Freeman Hankins (1917-1988), American politician, former Democratic member of the Pennsylvania State Senate (1967-1988)
- Antthony Mark Hankins, American fashion designer who founded Antthony Mark Hankins Inc. in 1994
- Jay Nelson Hankins (b. 1935), American former Major League Baseball player who played from 1961 to 1963 for the Kansas City Royals
- Larry Hankins (b. 1940), American actor, performer, director and producer
- Frank Hamilton Hankins (1877-1970), American sociologist and anthropologist
- ... (Another 8 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
You May Also Like
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)