Hanke History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The surname Hanke is a patronymic surname created from the Middle English given name Hank.
Early Origins of the Hanke family
The surname Hanke was first found in Lincolnshire where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the year 1191 when Anke of Ankinton held estates in that shire.
Important Dates for the Hanke family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hanke research. Another 134 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1275, 1290, and 1580 are included under the topic Early Hanke History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Hanke Spelling Variations
The English language only became standardized in the last few centuries; therefore, spelling variations are common among early Anglo-Saxon names. As the form of the English language changed, even the spelling of literate people's names evolved. Hanke has been recorded under many different variations, including Hanks, Hankes, Hanke, Hank, Anke, Ankes, Hancke and many more.
Early Notables of the Hanke family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Hanke Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Hanke migration to the United States
For many English families, the political and religious disarray that shrouded England made the far away New World an attractive prospect. On cramped disease-ridden ships, thousands migrated to those British colonies that would eventually become Canada and the United States. Those hardy settlers that survived the journey often went on to make important contributions to the emerging nations in which they landed. Analysis of immigration records indicates that some of the first North American immigrants bore the name Hanke or a variant listed above:
Hanke Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- F. L. Hanke, who landed in Panama on the way to California
- Dorothea Luise Hanke, who arrived in America in 1845 
- Joh Heinr Hanke, who landed in America in 1847-1849 
- Eduard Hanke, who settled in Texas in 1847
- Anton Hanke, who arrived in New York in 1849
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Hanke Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Augusta Hanke was registered voter in California in 1920
Contemporary Notables of the name Hanke (post 1700)
- Steve H. Hanke, American economist
- Vince Hanke, American Libertarian politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Texas 11th District, 1998 
- Raymond E. Hanke, American politician, Candidate for U.S. Senator from Iowa, 1938 
- Carl W. Hanke Jr., American Republican politician, Candidate for Michigan State House of Representatives from Houghton County 2nd District, 1940 
- Jana Hanke, German swimmer who won the bronze medal for Germany in 800m freestyle swimming at the 1992 Olympics
- Günther Hanke, stage actor and director
- Margarethe Elfriede Sophie von Hanke (b. 1894), German painter
- Mike Hanke (b. 1983), German footballer
- Hugon Hanke (1904-1964), former Polish politician
Historic Events for the Hanke family
- Georg Hanke (1920-1941), German Mechanikersobergefreiter who served aboard the German Battleship Bismarck during World War II when it was sunk heading to France; he died in the sinking 
- Alfons Hanke (1915-1941), German Bootsmaat who served aboard the German Battleship Bismarck during World War II when it was sunk heading to France; he died in the sinking 
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 9) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
- ^ Bismarck & Tirpitz Class - Crew List Bismarck. (Retrieved 2018, February 06). Retrieved from https://www.bismarck-class.dk/bismarck/crew/bismarck_crew.html#crew_details