Early Origins of the Hanington family
The surname Hanington was first found in Kent
where they held a family seat
as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the 13th century when they held estates in that county.
Early History of the Hanington family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hanington research.Another 139 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1176, 1455, 1487, 1510, and 1600 are included under the topic Early Hanington History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Hanington Spelling Variations
Until the dictionary, an invention of only the last few hundred
years, the English language lacked any comprehensive system of spelling rules. Consequently, spelling variations
in names are frequently found in early Anglo-Saxon
and later Anglo-Norman documents. One person's name was often spelled several different ways over a lifetime. The recorded variations of Hanington include Hannington, Hammington, Hanington, Haninton, Haminton, Hamigston, Hanyington, Hannyngton, Haninston and many more.
Early Notables of the Hanington family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Hanington Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Hanington family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Hanington Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Mr. William Hanington U.E. who settled in Moncton, New Brunswick c. 1785 married to Mary Derby CITATION[CLOSE]
Rubincam, Milton. The Old United Empire Loyalists List. Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc, 1976. (Originally published as; United Empire Loyalists. The Centennial of the Settlement of Upper Canada. Rose Publishing Company, 1885.) ISBN 0-8063-0331-X
Contemporary Notables of the name Hanington (post 1700)
- Daniel Lionel Hanington (1921-1999), Canadian Rear Admiral who survived a torpedo attack by a German U-boat during the Battle of the Atlantic, and received the Distinguished Service Cross
- Bruce Hanington, Associate Professor and Chair of the Industrial Design Program at Carnegie Mellon University
- Kyla Hanington (b. 1973), Canadian writer
- James Hanington (b. 1983), Canadian politician and businessman
- Brian Hanington, Canadian writer
- Daniel Lionel Hanington (1839-1905), Canadian politician from New Brunswick