100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: Irish, Scottish
Where did the Irish Haney family come from? What is the Irish Haney family crest and coat of arms? When did the Haney family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Haney family history?The Irish surnames in use today are underpinned by a multitude of rich histories. The name Haney originally appeared in Gaelic as O hEighnigh.
In the Middle Ages many people were recorded under different spellings each time their name was written down. Research on the Haney family name revealed numerous spelling variations, including Heaney, Heany, Hegney, Hegeany, Heagney, Heeney and others.
First found in County Londonderry (Irish: Doire), a Northern Irish county also known as Derry, in the province of Ulster, where they held a family seat from ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Haney research. Another 225 words(16 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Haney History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Haney Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Ireland saw an enormous decrease in its population in the 19th century due to immigration and death. This pattern of immigration began slowly in the late 18th century and gradually grew throughout the early portion of the 19th century. However, a dramatic increase in the country's immigration numbers occurred when the Great Potato Famine struck in the 1840s. The early immigrants to North America were primarily destined to be farmers tending to their own plot of land, those that came later initially settled within pre-established urban centers. These urban immigrants provided the cheap labor that the fast developing United States and soon to be Canada required. Regardless of their new lifestyle in North America, the Irish immigrants to the United States and Canada made invaluable contributions to their newly adopted societies. An investigation of immigrant and passenger lists revealed many Haneys:
Haney Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Eizabeth Haney, who landed in Virginia in 1622
Haney Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Johan George Haney, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1753
- Darby Haney, who landed in Virginia in 1756
- Thomas Haney, who landed in Boston, Massachusetts in 1766
Haney Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Hugh Haney, who landed in America in 1828
- Daniel Haney, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1847
- John Haney, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1848
- Frederick Haney, who landed in Washington County, Pennsylvania in 1856
- James Haney, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1868
Haney Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Margaret Haney, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1829
- Edward Haney, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1833
- Henry Haney, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1833
- Martha Haney, aged 4, arrived in Saint John, NB aboard the ship "Neptune" in 1834
- James Haney, aged 27, a labourer, arrived in Saint John, NB aboard the ship "Cupid" in 1834
- Anne Haney (1934-2001), American actress best known for her role as a social worker in Mrs. Doubtfire
- Bob Haney (1926-2004), American comic book writer for DC Comics
- Carol Haney (1924-1964), American dancer
- Daryl Haney (b. 1963), American actor, screenwriter
- Command Sergeant Major Eric L. Haney (b. 1952), American security consultant
- Fred Haney (1898-1977), American baseball player
- Larry Haney (b. 1942), American former Major League Baseball catcher
- Lewis Henry Haney (1882-1969), American economist
- Brigadier-General Harold Haney (1894-1973), American Commandant of Officers Candidate School (1943-1945)
- Henry Ryan Haney (d. 1878), Canadian politician
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1978. Print.
- Read, Charles Anderson. The Cabinet of Irish Literature Selections from the Works of the Chief Poets, Orators and Prose Writers of Ireland 4 Volumes. London: Blackie and Son, 1884. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Leyburn, James Graham. The Scotch-Irish A Social History. Chapel Hill: UNC Press, 1962. Print. (ISBN 0807842591).
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Land Owners in Ireland. Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1203-3).
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
The Haney Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Haney Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 17 January 2015 at 16:01.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!