Handscombe History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The origins of the Handscombe name lie with England's ancient Anglo-Saxon culture. It comes from when the family lived in the village of Hanscombe, in the county of Bedfordshire. The village name comes from an Old English personal name Han, and the Old English word camp, meaning "enclosed land."
Early Origins of the Handscombe family
The surname Handscombe was first found in Bedfordshire (Old English: Bedanfordscir), located in Southeast-central England, formerly part of the Anglo-Saxon kingdom of Mercia, where they held a family seat from very early times.
Early History of the Handscombe family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Handscombe research. Another 53 words (4 lines of text) covering the years 1255 and 1634 are included under the topic Early Handscombe History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Handscombe Spelling Variations
Before the last few hundred years, the English language had no fast system of spelling rules. For that reason, spelling variations are commonly found in early Anglo-Saxon surnames. Over the years, many variations of the name Handscombe were recorded, including Handscomb, Hanscomb, Hanscombe, Handscombe, Handcome, Hanscom, Handscom, Hanscome and many more.
Early Notables of the Handscombe family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Handscombe Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Handscombe migration to Australia +
Emigration to Australia
followed the First Fleets
of convicts, tradespeople and early settlers. Early immigrants include:
Handscombe Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Mr. John Handscombe, English convict who was convicted in Bedford, Bedfordshire, England for 7 years, transported aboard the "Augusta Jessie" on 27 September 1834, arriving in Tasmania (Van Diemen's Land) 
Contemporary Notables of the name Handscombe (post 1700) +
- Celia Handscombe, American actress, known for My Guardian Angel (2018) and Flowers in the Graveyard (2015)
- Brendan Handscombe, American costume supervisor, known for Wonder Woman 1984 (2020), Mary Queen of Scots (2018), Murder on the Orient Express (2017) and Doctor Strange (2016)
- Malcolm Handscombe (b. 1934), English footballer from Normanton, England who played as a centre half in the Football League for Chester (1957-1958)
- Raymond "Ray" Handscombe (b. 1950), English former professional rugby league footballer who played over 259 matches in the 1970s and 1980s
- Richard James Handscombe, Canadian educator, author and president of R.J. Handscombe Ltd., Toronto, Ontario
- Mr. Frank Handscombe B.E.M., British recipient of Medallist of the British Empire Medal 29th December 2018 for services to Judo and to the community in South Molton, North Devon 
- Sue Handscombe (b. 1956), British rower who competed in the women's double sculls event at the 1980 Summer Olympics
Related Stories +
- ^ Convict Records Voyages to Australia (Retrieved 14th August 2020). Retrieved from https://convictrecords.com.au/ships/augusta-jessie
- ^ "Birthday and New Year Honours Lists (1940 to 2019)." Issue 62507, 28 December 2018 | London Gazette, The Gazette, Dec. 2018, www.thegazette.co.uk/honours-lists