100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Sound was what guided spelling in the essentially pre-literate Middle Ages, so one person's name was often recorded under several variations during a single lifetime. Also, before the advent of the printing press and the first dictionaries, the English language was not standardized. Therefore, spelling variations were common, even among the names of the most literate people. Known variations of the Halvorson family name include Alverton, Alverston, Alveston, Halverston, Halverson, Halveston, Halverton and many more.
First found in Cheshire where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the year 1160 when Jukel de Alvertun held estates in that shire.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Halvorson research. Another 187 words (13 lines of text) covering the years 1276, 1455 and 1487 are included under the topic Early Halvorson History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Halvorson Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
For political, religious, and economic reasons, thousands of English families boarded ships for Ireland, Canada, the America colonies, and many of smaller tropical colonies in the hope of finding better lives abroad. Although the passage on the cramped, dank ships caused many to arrive in the New World diseased and starving, those families that survived the trip often went on to make valuable contributions to those new societies to which they arrived. Early immigrants bearing the Halvorson surname or a spelling variation of the name include:
Halvorson Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Elling Halvorson, who arrived in Texas in 1848
- Jens Halvorson, who landed in Texas in 1853
- Elias Halvorson, who landed in Texas in 1853
- Alak Halvorson, who settled in San Francisco in 1880
Halvorson Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Anna Halvorson, who arrived in Montana in 1906
- Ole Andrew Halvorson, who arrived in Wisconsin in 1911
- Charley Halvorson, who arrived in Wisconsin in 1914
- August Halvorson, who arrived in Wisconsin in 1917
- August Halvorson, who landed in Wisconsin in 1917
- Henry Theodore Halvorson (1883-1943), American-born, Canadian lumber salesman and politician in Saskatchewan, representing Cypress in the Legislative Assembly of Saskatchewan from 1921 to 1929
- George Halvorson (b. 1947), American chairman and CEO of Kaiser Permanante
- Kittel Halvorson (1846-1936), Norway-born, U.S. Representative from Minnesota
- Gary Halvorson, American eleven-time Daytime Emmy Award winning, two-time Primetime Emmy Award nominated director and producer
- Deborah L. "Debbie" Halvorson (b. 1958), American politician, Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Illinois's 11th district (2009-2011)
- Helen Halvorson, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from South Dakota, 1940
- Halvor Langdon Halvorson (b. 1881), American Democrat politician, Mayor of Minot, North Dakota, 1911-15; Delegate to Democratic National Convention from North Dakota, 1916, 1944, 1948
- Kittel Halvorson (1846-1936), American politician, Member of Minnesota State House of Representatives, 1886; U.S. Representative from Minnesota 5th District, 1891-93
- Rod Halvorson, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Iowa, 2000
- Rod Halvorson, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Minnesota, 2004
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Elster, Robert J. International Who's Who. London: Europa/Routledge. Print.
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
The Halvorson Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Halvorson Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 6 November 2015 at 10:19.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!