100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The surname Halverson was first found in Cheshire where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the year 1160 when Jukel de Alvertun held estates in that shire.
Until the dictionary, an invention of only the last few hundred years, the English language lacked any comprehensive system of spelling rules. Consequently, spelling variations in names are frequently found in early Anglo-Saxon and later Anglo-Norman documents. One person's name was often spelled several different ways over a lifetime. The recorded variations of Halverson include Alverton, Alverston, Alveston, Halverston, Halverson, Halveston, Halverton and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Halverson research. Another 187 words (13 lines of text) covering the years 1276, 1455 and 1487 are included under the topic Early Halverson History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Halverson Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Thousands of English families boarded ships sailing to the New World in the hope of escaping the unrest found in England at this time. Although the search for opportunity and freedom from persecution abroad took the lives of many because of the cramped conditions and unsanitary nature of the vessels, the opportunity perceived in the growing colonies of North America beckoned. Many of the settlers who survived the journey went on to make important contributions to the transplanted cultures of their adopted countries. The Halverson were among these contributors, for they have been located in early North American records:
Halverson Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Knute Halverson, who landed in Illinois in 1838
- John Halverson, who arrived in Mobile County, Ala in 1854
- Aslack Halverson, who settled in California in 1863
- Chris Halverson, who arrived in Kansas in 1880
- Andreas Halverson, who arrived in Kansas in 1889
- Courtney Halverson (b. 1989), American actress
- Eliot Jon Halverson (b. 1990), American figure skater, the 2007 US Junior National Champion
- Vince E. Halverson, American politician, Member of South Dakota State Senate 18th District, 1955-56
- Norman Halverson, American politician, Mayor of Cloquet, Minnesota, 1954-56
- Marti Halverson, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Wyoming, 2008
- Key Halverson, American politician, Representative from Michigan 9th District, 1992
- John Halverson (b. 1964), American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Minnesota, 2004
- H. P. Halverson, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from North Dakota, 1916
- Aleck Halverson, American politician, Prohibition Candidate for Minnesota State House of Representatives 6th District, 1906
- A. B. Halverson, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Iowa, 1944
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-19-822525-3).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Cook, Chris. English Historical Facts 1603-1688. London: MacMillan, 1980. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
The Halverson Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Halverson Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 22 February 2016 at 11:10.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!