on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Hallman family come from? What is the English Hallman family crest and coat of arms? When did the Hallman family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Hallman family history?The Anglo-Saxon name Hallman comes from when the family resided in the county of Staffordshire where they were known as the dwellers at the hall. This surname was originally derived from the Old English word halemann, which literally means someone who lived by a large house.
Before English spelling was standardized a few hundred years ago, spelling variations of names were a common occurrence. Elements of Latin, French and other languages became incorporated into English through the Middle Ages, and name spellings changed even among the literate. The variations of the surname Hallman include Hallman, Halman and others.
First found in Staffordshire where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hallman research. Another 243 words(17 lines of text) covering the year 1095 is included under the topic Early Hallman History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Hallman Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
A great wave of immigration to the New World was the result of the enormous political and religious disarray that struck England at that time. Families left for the New World in extremely large numbers. The long journey was the end of many immigrants and many more arrived sick and starving. Still, those who made it were rewarded with an opportunity far greater than they had known at home in England. These emigrant families went on to make significant contributions to these emerging colonies in which they settled. Some of the first North American settlers carried this name or one of its variants:
Hallman Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Petter Hallman, aged 20, arrived in Pennsylvania in 1732
- Anthony Hallman settled in Philadelphia in 1734
- John Hallman, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1743
- Adam Hallman, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1761
- John Hallman settled in Philadelphia in 1786
Hallman Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Catherine Hallman and Margaret Hallman settled in New York in 1849
- D Hallman, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850
- William Wilson "Bill" Hallman (1867-1920), American Major League Baseball player and manager
- William Harry "Bill" Hallman (1876-1950), American Major League Baseball player who played from 1901 to 1907
- Hudson "Curley" Hallman (b. 1947), former American football player and coach
- Harold Hallman (1962-2005), American CFL defensive tackle who played from 1986 to 1993
- Staff Sergeant Sherwood H. Hallman (1913-1944), United States Army soldier, recipient of the Medal of Honor for his actions in World War II
- Arthur Garfield Hallman (1910-1994), Canadian singer, arranger, saxophonist, and pianist
- Peter Hallman Ph.D., Assistant Professor in the Department of Linguistics at the University of Toronto
- Tom Hallman Jr., who won the 2001 Pulitzer Prize for Feature Writing for his series of articles in The Oregonian
- Torsten Hallman (b. 1939), Swedish four-time motocross World Champion
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Lennard, Reginald. Rural England 1086-1135 A Study of Social and Agrarian Conditions. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1959. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1790. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds. Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
The Hallman Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Hallman Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 20 December 2013 at 14:37.
on orders of $85 or more