Hainsworth History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The ancestors of the bearers of the Hainsworth family name are thought have lived in ancient Anglo-Saxon England. They were first found in the area of Ainsworth in the parish of Middleton. Some instances, generally the Hainsworth spelling, come from Hainworth in West Yorkshire, derived in turn from an Old English personal name Hagena; while other instances of the name came from Ainsworth in the parish of Middleton, in Lancashire, from the Old English personal name Ægen.
Early Origins of the Hainsworth family
The surname Hainsworth was first found in Greater Manchester at Ainsworth, a small village and now a suburb within Radcliffe, in the Metropolitan Borough of Bury. Historically part of Lancashire, the place name is derived from Haineswrthe which dates back to c. 1200. 
"The family of Aynesworth, located here, was of considerable antiquity, and is mentioned in the reigns of Edward III and Richard II, at which latter time John de Aynesworth was of Pleasington, in Blackburn parish."  The village is also called Cockey-Moor.
Important Dates for the Hainsworth family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hainsworth research. Another 54 words (4 lines of text) covering the years 1881, 1523, 1554, 1571, 1622, 1560, 1571, 1660 and 1743 are included under the topic Early Hainsworth History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Hainsworth Spelling Variations
Until quite recently, the English language has lacked a definite system of spelling rules. Consequently, Anglo-Saxon surnames are characterized by a multitude of spelling variations. Changes in Anglo-Saxon names were influenced by the evolution of the English language, as it incorporated elements of French, Latin, and other languages. Although Medieval scribes and church officials recorded names as they sounded, so it is common to find one person referred to by several different spellings of his surname, even the most literate people varied the spelling of their own names. Variations of the name Hainsworth include Ainsworth, Ainsworthy, Aynsworth, Answorth and others.
Early Notables of the Hainsworth family (pre 1700)
Notables of the family at this time include John Ainsworth ( fl. 1523), English politician from Pershore and Worcester, Member of Parliament for Worcester in 1554.
Henry Ainsworth (1571-1622), was an English Nonconformist clergyman and scholar, educated at Caius College, Cambridge. He was the "leader of the separatist congregation at Amsterdam, and controversialist, was, according to the Lancashire historians, one of an...
Another 60 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Hainsworth Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Hainsworth migration to the United States
Searching for a better life, many English families migrated to British colonies. Unfortunately, the majority of them traveled under extremely harsh conditions: overcrowding on the ships caused the majority of the immigrants to arrive diseased, famished, and destitute from the long journey across the ocean. For those families that arrived safely, modest prosperity was attainable, and many went on to make invaluable contributions to the development of the cultures of the new colonies. Research into the origins of individual families in North America revealed records of the immigration of a number of people bearing the name Hainsworth or a variant listed above:
Hainsworth Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- George Hainsworth, who landed in Maryland in 1662 
Hainsworth Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- William Hainsworth, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1868 
Contemporary Notables of the name Hainsworth (post 1700)
- William Hainsworth (b. 1968), American actor, known for Spaced Out (2006) and The Bold and the Beautiful (1987)
- John Hainsworth, American actor, known for Final Destination (2000), Scary Movie 3 (2003) and Assault on Wall Street (2013)
- N. E. Hainsworth, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Utah, 1944 
- Ms. Sarah Victoria Hainsworth O.B.E., FREng, (b. 1967), born in Leeds, England, English Pro-Vice-Chancellor and Executive Dean for School of Engineering and Applied Science at Aston University, professor of Materials and Forensic Engineering, was appointed Officer of the Order of the British Empire on 29th December 2018 for services to Engineering and to Forensic Science 
- Richard Hainsworth, British actor, known for Caring for the Recently Deceased (2014), Jupiter Moon (1990) and Red Dwarf (1988)
- Herb Hainsworth (1881-1955), former Australian rules footballer who played with Carlton in 1902
- Michael Hainsworth, Canadian business reporter for CTV Toronto
- George Henry Hainsworth (1895-1950), Canadian professional NHL ice hockey goaltender, inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame (1961)
- Dennis Hainsworth Mallinson, Director of National Engineering Laboratory, Scotland
- ^ Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
- ^ Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 7) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
- ^ "Birthday and New Year Honours Lists (1940 to 2019)." Issue 62507, 28 December 2018 | London Gazette, The Gazette, Dec. 2018, www.thegazette.co.uk/honours-lists