Hackley History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Early Origins of the Hackley family
The surname Hackley was first found in Buckinghamshire, where they held a family seat from ancient times. The name literally mane "dweller at the Acre-Lea, i.e., a common field divided into plots of various sizes. [Middle English aker, Old English aecer, a division of land +M.E. ley, Old English leah, a lea, field]." 
Early History of the Hackley family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hackley research. Another 245 words (18 lines of text) covering the years 1086, 1273, 1300, 1500, 1610, 1769, 1665 and 1740 are included under the topic Early Hackley History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Hackley Spelling Variations
The first dictionaries that appeared in the last few hundred years did much to standardize the English language. Before that time, spelling variations in names were a common occurrence. The language was changing, incorporating pieces of other languages, and the spelling of names changed with it. Hackley has been spelled many different ways, including Ackerly, Ackerley, Acerly, Akerley, Akeley, Acle, Ackle, Acley, Acly and many more.
Early Notables of the Hackley family (pre 1700)
Another 36 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Hackley Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Hackley migration to the United States +
Thousands of English families in this era began to emigrate the New World in search of land and freedom from religious and political persecution. Although the passage was expensive and the ships were dark, crowded, and unsafe, those who made the voyage safely were rewarded with opportunities unavailable to them in their homeland. Research into passenger and immigration lists has revealed some of the very first Hackleys to arrive in North America:
Hackley Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Jon Hackley, who arrived in Virginia in 1638 
- Jane Hackley, who landed in Virginia in 1652 
- Richard Hackley, who arrived in Virginia in 1653 
Hackley migration to Canada +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Hackley Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Joshua Hackley, who landed in Nova Scotia in 1750
Related Stories +
- ^ Harrison, Henry, Surnames of the United Kingdom: A Concise Etymological Dictionary Baltimore: Geneological Publishing Company, 2013. Print
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)