Early Origins of the Gunnis family
The surname Gunnis was first found in Lothian
where they held a family seat
on the English/Scottish border. After the Norman Conquest
many of Duke William's rebellious Barons moved north. The border became a convenient no-man's land. Notable families such as the Percy, the Umfravilles and the Nevilles gathered many supporting clans around them. In the 16th century they became known as the 'unruly clans'. In that century, many of those clans drove their herds south, and they settled in Yorkshire
. The name was first recorded as part of the Gun Clan
which settled on the border in 1346 having broken away from the main Clan
Will 'the Crowner' Gunn acquired lands here.
Early History of the Gunnis family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Gunnis research.Another 209 words (15 lines of text) covering the years 1278, 1634, 1663 and 1676 are included under the topic Early Gunnis History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Gunnis Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Gunnison, Gunneson, Kenneson, Kenniston, Kennison, Kennerson, Gunnerson, Kenson and many more.
Early Notables of the Gunnis family (pre 1700)
Another 25 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Gunnis Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Gunnis family to Ireland
Some of the Gunnis family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.Another 169 words (12 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Gunnis family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Gunnis Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- John Gunnis, who landed in New York, NY in 1816 CITATION[CLOSE]
Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
Gunnis Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Hon. Mrs. Stuart Gunnis, aged 47, who landed in America from London, England, in 1909
- Ronald S. Gunnis, aged 22, who landed in America from London, England, in 1909
- Ronald Stewart Gunnis, aged 25, who emigrated to the United States from Folkstone, England, in 1912
- Ronald Stuart Gunnis, aged 34, who landed in America from London, England, in 1921
- Matthew Tweedie Gunnis, aged 27, who emigrated to America from Shotts, Scotland, in 1922
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Gunnis (post 1700)
- Rupert Forbes Gunnis (1899-1965), English collector, historian and author of Dictionary of British Sculptors 1660-1851