The ancestry of the name Gulledge dates from the ancient Anglo-Saxon
culture of Britain. It comes from when the family lived in Coldridge, in Devon.
Early Origins of the Gulledge family
The surname Gulledge was first found in Nottinghamshire
, where they held a family seat
from ancient times.
Early History of the Gulledge family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Gulledge research.Another 60 words (4 lines of text) covering the years 1210, 1578, 1639, 1670, 1635 and 1681 are included under the topic Early Gulledge History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Gulledge Spelling Variations
in names were a common occurrence before English spelling was standardized a few hundred
years ago. In the Middle Ages, even the literate spelled their names differently as the English language incorporated elements of French, Latin, and other European languages. Many variations of the name Gulledge have been found, including Colledge, College, Collage, Gollege, Golledge, Callage, Calledge, Gollidge, Collige, Collidge and many more.
Early Notables of the Gulledge family (pre 1700)
Another 43 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Gulledge Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Gulledge family to the New World and Oceana
Families began migrating abroad in enormous numbers because of the political and religious discontent in England
. Often faced with persecution and starvation in England
, the possibilities of the New World attracted many English people. Although the ocean trips took many lives, those who did get to North America were instrumental in building the necessary groundwork for what would become for new powerful nations. Some of the first immigrants to cross the Atlantic and come to North America bore the name Gulledge, or a variant listed above:
Gulledge Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Josephine Gulledge, aged 32, who settled in America, in 1908
- Vivian Gulledge, aged 25, who emigrated to Plano, TX, in 1914
- Charles Gulledge, aged 21, who emigrated to the United States, in 1923
- Ola Gulledge, aged 36, who settled in New York City, in 1924
Contemporary Notables of the name Gulledge (post 1700)
- Andrew Gulledge (b. 1980), Spanish-American writer, researcher, analyst, and consultant
- David Gulledge (b. 1967), former American football safety in the National Football League
- Jesse Gulledge, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Alabama, 1928 CITATION[CLOSE]
The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, January 20) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html