Guillemette History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The Guillemette family can find its origins within the landscape of Medieval France, particularly in that coastal region once known as Normandy. Their name is derived from the popular Norman given name William, which is composed of the elements will, meaning desire, and helm, meaning protection or strength.
Early Origins of the Guillemette family
The surname Guillemette was first found in Normandy (French: Normandie), the former Duchy of Normandy, where they held a family seat and were conjecturally descended from the Comte D'Evroux, in the castle of Evreux. Guillemets, also called angle quotes, Latin quotation marks, or French quotation marks are named after Guillaume Le Bé (1525-1598), the French punchcutter and engraver
Early History of the Guillemette family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Guillemette research. Another 149 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 1070, 1087 and 1816 are included under the topic Early Guillemette History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Guillemette Spelling Variations
Throughout the course of history most surnames have undergone changes for many reasons. During the early development of the French language, a son and father may not have chosen to spell their name the same way. Many are simple spelling changes by a person who gave his name, phonetically, to a scribe, priest, or recorder. Many names held prefixes or suffixes which became optional as they passed through the centuries, or were adopted by different branches to signify either a political or religious adherence. Hence, we have many spelling variations of this name, Guillemette some of which are Guilaume, Guillaume, Guilaum, Guillamauax, Guillemot, Guillaumie, Guillaumes, Guillaumaud, Guillaumaut, Guillaumard, Guillaumart, De Guillaume and many more.
Early Notables of the Guillemette family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Guillemette Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Guillemette World Ranking
In the United States, the name Guillemette is the 13,050th most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name.  However, in Canada, the name Guillemette is ranked the 649th most popular surname with an estimated 7,961 people with that name.  And in France, the name Guillemette is the 3,651st popular surname with an estimated 1,500 - 2,000 people with that name. 
Guillemette migration to the United States +
In 1643, 109 years after the first landings by Cartier, there were only about 300 people in Quebec. Migration was slow. The fur trade attracted migrants, both noble and commoner. By 1675, there were 7000 French in Quebec. By the same year the French Acadian presence in the Maritimes had reached 500. The French founded Lower Canada, thus becoming one of the two great founding nations of Canada. The family name Guillemette has made many distinguished contributions in France and New France to the world of science, culture, religion, and education. Amongst the settlers in North America with this distinguished name Guillemette were
Guillemette Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Charles Guillemette, aged 38, who settled in America from France, in 1900
- Marie Guillemette, aged 28, who landed in America from France, in 1900
- Elisa Guillemette, aged 48, who landed in America from Paris, France, in 1904
- Arthur Guillemette, aged 28, who landed in America from Paris, France, in 1904
- Eugenie Guillemette, aged 38, who immigrated to the United States, in 1909
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Guillemette (post 1700) +
- Alphonse-Edgar Guillemette (1877-1950), Canadian politician, Member of the Legislative Assembly of Quebec
- Éloi Guillemette (1911-1984), Canadian politician, three-term Member of the Legislative Assembly of Quebec
- Guillemette Laurens (b. 1957), French opera singer
Related Stories +
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm
- ^ https://forebears.io/surnames/
- ^ http://www.journaldesfemmes.com/nom-de-famille/nom/